The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  pentium or Celeron?
Andy Greatrix

Edmonton Alberta
Post  Posted 12 Apr 2000 6:19 pm    

I'm trying to help a friend of mine buy a computer.I've never heard of a Celeron type motherboard. Does anyone have an opinion,pro or con?
All the best,-Andy

Kathryn Sabey

Rock Hill, SC
Post  Posted 12 Apr 2000 6:33 pm    

I loved mine. Never a problem. (Celeron, that is).

George Rozak

Braidwood, Illinois USA
Post  Posted 12 Apr 2000 8:41 pm    

I'm currently running on an older Celeron 300A. Never had a problem with it. Mine uses a Slot 1 socket on the motherboard. The newer (and faster) Celerons use a Socket 370. Most Pentium IIs & IIIs still use the Slot 1, althouch I've heard that the newer ones will be using a socket. The thing to keep in mind is that the Celerons run on a 66 MHz bus on the motherboard, while Pentium IIs & IIIs run at 100MHz & 133 MHz busses on the mb.

I've found the Celerons to be rock stable though, & unless you really need to run some really high level CPU intensive applications, the Celeron delivers the most bang for the buck. Also, don't overlook AMD. They also have some pretty decent CPUs that deliver a pretty good bang for the buck.

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 13 Apr 2000 3:37 am    

The original Intel Celerons were designed to be a lower priced alternative to the Pentiums. The original ones didn't fair well in benchmark testing. The newer ones seem to be improved quite a bit but are still marketed as a lower cost alternative to a full blown Pentium processor system.

The alternatives to Intel seem to be making inroads lately in the Processor business.