The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Registry problems
Bo Borland

South Jersey -
Post  Posted 26 Feb 2000 10:51 am    

Here is one for the techno-pickers.
I have a severe registry problem with Windows 98.
I get error messages on bootup referring to accessing the registry & registry errors...asks to hit enter to restore reg.
When I do this it enters a death spiral of the same msg over & over. I have to use the boot disk to get any further. Once I get the C: I can do a scanreg/restore and restore an older registry, but the problems persists.
I never shut the system down because of this.
Any suggestions out there???

------------------
Bo Borland
All my gear is "vintage" now.

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 26 Feb 2000 12:24 pm    

It sounds to me like the "backup" copies of the registry are also screwed up. The registry is one area to avoid editing, and it can get screwed up by one program either during installation or deinstallation.

The easiest path may be to reload WIN98, which should install a good registry. Reloading WIN98 should not wipe out any of your data or other programs.

Marty Pollard

Post  Posted 26 Feb 2000 1:52 pm    

John, that would probably be ok if Bo can F8 boot to Safe Mode. But I'm with Jack; just reload the OS.

Rich Paton

Santa Maria, CA.,
Post  Posted 27 Feb 2000 5:48 am    

Hey how 'bout this you said you're using dubya98, right? Run this path:
>
Start/programs/accessories/system tools/system information/tools/registry checker...and there's a slew of other utilities including a file checker that tests your system files & replaces corrupted ones from the W98 install disk.
>
I always copy the windoze setup files,
(~110 Mbytes) to a directory I create & name "W98" on my "D" (HDD1,Part02) drive, so I can do a setup
(fresh, after a deltree c:\windows *.* operation), or a setup over the existing program, by simply typing this at the C prompt:

D: enter
cd\w98 enter
setup enter

Having the setup disk stored this way also facilitates simple, rapid access to any files the "system tools" utilities may need to correct a problem or install a damaged device driver, or whatnot...not to mention that you needn't, in the middle of a panic, hunt down your now (any time it's critical) misplaced setup CD and/or CDKey#!
I also ALWAYS write that number right on the top of the CD with a sharpie permanent marker ...works better than Excedrin!
>
I had some obscure, goofy registry event last night after playing around where I shouldn't have, and the doggone system info/tools applet all but took over and fixed it! I just had to answer one or two prompts, and it was back 100%, didn't even have to reboot! Very impressive stuff. Yes, I pinched myself to be sure it was real.
This is the only problem I've had with W98SE since first loaded 09/15/99! Not bad for Windoze, eh? [pinched again] :>)
>
Bo, Good Luck!

Jonathan Cullifer

Gallatin, TN
Post  Posted 6 Mar 2000 9:27 am    

As a last resort, the only thing I can tell you to do is reformat your hard drive. If you don't feel comfortable working with your computer on that kind of basis, most local computer stores will charge around $50 to format and re-install Windows. My cousin's computer had a similar problem (a LOT of her system files were gone into thin air). At first it seemed like a small problem, until we found out how bad it really was.

I must remind everyone that, unless you are very comfortable with going deep down into your system, the Registry is not something to be fooled around with. In fact, I despise the Windows
regedit
program because there is no Undo command. Instead, I reccommend that anyone who is going to work with the Registry downloads the ZDNet/PC Magizine RegEdit+. Or better yet, find another way to solve the problem before diving into the Registry.

Best of luck,
Jonathan

[This message was edited by Jonathan Cullifer on 07 March 2000 at 06:20 AM.]

Earnest Bovine

Los Angeles CA USA
Post  Posted 6 Mar 2000 10:17 am    

There is no Undo command in regedit.

But can't you just make a backup copy of system.dat and use that in case you really screw up?

Bo Borland

South Jersey -
Post  Posted 6 Mar 2000 7:50 pm    

I have not been able to fix the registry problem as yet. When I went thru reg check, i got a message that the reg was ok, then a error msg "encountered an error accessing the reg, hit enter to repair" then the system locked in a death spiral... it took a while to reboot with a clean reg. (at least 4 times) So I did a scanreg/restore and restored an older reg that did boot.. I have not shut the system down since..
I did try to reload W98 before.. it would not get past a certain point, it locked up.
The manufacturer does not recommend a re format.... any other ideas ...??

Jim Smith

Midlothian, TX, USA
Post  Posted 6 Mar 2000 7:57 pm    

Where does the 98 install hang? There are many command line switches to allow setup to bypass certain checks. To find out what they are, in DOS cd to the Win98 setup directory and type: setup /?

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 7 Mar 2000 4:31 am    

If WIN98 will not (re)install, you may have no other option than to format the hard drive and do a new install. I don't know why the manufacturer doesn't recommend that as reformatting and reloading the software is one of the most often (and overused) fixes by most PC companies.

I'd make sure all your data, such as word processor files, personal data, etc are backed up before reloading. Also, if you're using Internet Explorer you can back up your favorites and cookies which makes it easy to get back to where you were with the browser. Also Outlook/Outlook Express have routines to backup your address book, configuration and your e-mail files, so you can also restore them.

If you have a "restore" CD from the manufacturer, which has the original disk image on it, they usually have an easy procedure to completely erase the hard drive and reinstall back to where it was when the PC was new.

This may sound like a drastic step, but if you can't resolve the problems, it's what you'll have to do.