The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Napster.com
Steve Benzian

Burlingame, CA USA
Post  Posted 27 Feb 2000 3:37 pm    

For those interested in mp3 files check out the following: http://napster.com/

This site allows you to exchange mp3 files with others. First you must download their software (600K). Currently there are 588,000 songs here. It is a slick interface.

Warning! There is a lot of copyrighted material available. Some may think this is good but others will think it is bad.

[This message was edited by Steve Benzian on 27 February 2000 at 08:11 PM.]

[This message was edited by Steve Benzian on 28 February 2000 at 12:44 PM.]

[This message was edited by Steve Benzian on 28 February 2000 at 07:47 PM.]

Bobby Lee

Cloverdale, California, USA
Post  Posted 28 Feb 2000 8:28 am    

Good or bad, it's a crime.

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 28 Feb 2000 8:35 am    

Looks like you have to download their software before you can access anything.

I looked at the site but after I found out about their software, I didn't go any further.

(not counting the ethical aspects).

Earnest Bovine

Los Angeles CA USA
Post  Posted 28 Feb 2000 10:27 am    

Los Angeles Times ran a big article about Napster last week. Napster is very popular among college students.
Two things about it disturb me.

First, almost none of the students recognizes the moral authority of intellectual property laws. This is old news in today's networked world, not just for music but for all sorts of publishing. It's so easy to copy nowadays that all publishers must recognize that the business as we have known it for 500 years no longer exists.

Second, universities provide their students with very high speed network connections in the dormitories. I was surprised to learn just how fast: these kids are connected at megabaud rates! That's hundreds, or thousands, of times faster than you and I can get. And with public universities, the network is built at taxpayer expense. The idea is that the free flow if ideas will enhance scholarship and research in the university. But the kids are using 100% of the capacity of the network for downloading music 24 hours a day.

What are the odds that President Gore will ask the taxpayers to provide this important compnent of a univerrsity education to all young people?

And another thing: that trash that kids listen to nowdays isn't music! It's garbage!

Steve Benzian

Burlingame, CA USA
Post  Posted 1 Mar 2000 3:39 pm    

I wanted to post a followup on Napster.

There is nothing inherently illegal in the program. What it does is act like a clearing house where any Napster user can find and exchange MP3 files with another Napster user. The program hooks you to a server where all the other signed on Napster users MP3 files can be searched for by artist, title or genre. Then you can choose to get a file directly from anyone listed as having it. The transfer time will depend on what the speed of your internet connection and the other persons internet connection. As Earnest said many Napsters have fast connections and the download time can be less than five minutes for a 4 Meg file (3 minute song). Short segments of songs would be considerable smaller files. The program is very slick. When you find something you want it shows the line speed of the compter where it resides and hooks up with a single click. YOu can download several things at the same time.

This system eliminates having to upload a large music file to a server. The exchange is machine to machine so the file can reside on your own hard drive.

What I'm getting at is that this could be a good way for the Forum members to exchange sound. For example, you record something as an mp3 file you would like others to hear( provided you can figure out how to do it). You would name the file, then put it in the directory that is hooked to Napster on your own computer. With Napster running you would post on the
Forum the name of the file. Anyone running Napster could then search for it and retrieve it.

Whether you want to use the program to retrieve copyrighted songs would be a personal decision. If you don't upload any copyrighted material you are perfectly legal....and probably a saint.

Dan Tyack

Olympia, WA USA
Post  Posted 1 Mar 2000 11:19 pm    

Make no doubt about it: what Nabster.com provides is illegal according to the existing laws regarding copyrights. I don't know any rights lawyer who thinks they have any leg to stand on.

Whether what they are doing is moral all depends on your value system. I personally think that artists (musicians, songwriters, yes even singers) should be paid for their work. If you think it's OK for artists to be ripped off, go ahead and use Nabster, you probably won't be prosecuted (just like you probably won't be busted if you smoke pot in your own home), but I think it is morally offensive. Seens to me most of the religions out there have restrictions against theft.

------------------
www.tyacktunes.com

Bill Crook

Goodlettsville, TN , Spending my kid's inheritance
Post  Posted 1 Mar 2000 11:55 pm    

When I wish to exchange sound files with others, I just make a "WAV" file of it, send it then erase/delete it from my computer. No wasted space on the Hard drive or anything. And NO problems with legal aspects.

2cents and soapbox now put away