The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Growling Webb
Rick Collins

Claremont , CA USA
Post  Posted 23 Feb 2004 10:17 pm    

...just developed a growl in my Webb 6-14E. It has a 4 ohm JBL speaker (K-130-4). I removed the grill cloth and pushed on the cone of the speaker. It does not seem to be a bad speaker.

Does anyone know of a good amp. man in the L.A. area that knows Webb amps?

I called and talked to Jimmy Webb in Antioch, CA. He says that it is probably a bad capacitor or resistor; but I need someone to check it out.

...will be appreciative of any information.

Many thanks, Rick

Jay Ganz

Out Behind The Barn
Post  Posted 24 Feb 2004 7:38 am    

What do you mean by "growl"? Hum? Distortion?
Is it constant or only heard when you play through it?

John Bresler

Thornton, Colorado
Post  Posted 24 Feb 2004 8:29 am    

Rick:

Does it still growl with the equalizer switched in? I had a similiar problem a few weeks ago and it turned out to be the equalizer switch. If it sounds ok with the equalizer switched in, then it is the switch.

Rick Collins

Claremont , CA USA
Post  Posted 24 Feb 2004 9:16 am    

For lack of a better word, I used the term "growl". It sounds near "fuzz" distortion, and is more pronounced in the middle strings. I hear it only when I'm playing.

When I back way down with the "Sensitivity" control it seems to become less pronounced. Of course, this also lessens the volume.

I can't dial out the noise totally, by moving any of the controls. I hear it with all of my four guitars and with all of the cables. Going around the volume pedal, it still remains. I don't own any effects electronics.

I bought the amp new, when I first started playing, sometime right before 1980. JBL does not even make the speaker in a 4 ohm anymore, only in an 8 ohm.

I've played through this amp. exclusively for so long, and with such a clean sound; I'm quite certain that this amp. has developed a distinct distortion.

Many thanks, Rick

Bill Ford

Graniteville SC Aiken
Post  Posted 24 Feb 2004 3:20 pm    

Rick,
Just had the same problem with my session500,replaced the caps in the preamp section,as per advise from Mike Brown and techs at Peavey,problem solved,sounds clean again...

------------------
Bill Ford

T. C. Furlong

Lake County, Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 4 Mar 2004 3:22 pm    

This might be a shot in the dark, but, try excersizing the equalizer IN/OUT switch back and forth a number of times and leave it in the OUT position. With an amp of that age, a small amount of oxidation on the switch contact can introduce a slight (or not so slight) fuzz into the signal. If it cleans up after trying this, it's time to replace the switch or look at the EQ circuitry. This very problem occurred in my Webb and I was able to troubleshoot it with some switch wigglin'.