The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Jimmie Webb is a great man
Chris Erbacher

Sausalito, California, USA
Post  Posted 12 Jul 2003 6:28 pm    

Some of you may have seen my post a month or so ago about the hissing in my Webb amp. i just got back from visiting Mr. Webb with my amp and wanted to post a few words here about him. Mr. Webb is a kind and gentle man who truly cares about his customers, enough so that he came out of an important interview just to speak with me and find out about my amplifier. i just wanted to post this as a thank you to Mr. Webb and as a heads up to anyone thinking about buying one of his amps. the man and machine are quality.

Gary Walker

Morro Bay, CA
Post  Posted 12 Jul 2003 8:20 pm    

Chris, I am an expectant father of a new 614E piggy back and it may be shipped as we speak, and yes, he is a prince of a man.

[This message was edited by Gary Walker on 12 July 2003 at 09:21 PM.]

Jerry Clardy

El Paso, Texas, USA * R.I.P.
Post  Posted 13 Jul 2003 12:48 am    

Chris,

What was the cause of the hissing in your Webb amp?

Jerry Clardy

Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 13 Jul 2003 7:44 am    

Mr. Webb and I were display table-neighbors at the TSGA Jamboree this year, and we had quite a few nice conversations. He is a very nice man, indeed.

Though he is quite frail, wheelchair-bound, and had an attendant with him at all times... a rather attractive youmg babe I might add ... he was quite animated and always ready to discuss whatever you wanted to talk about at great length.

Folks like him have a lot of wisdom and perspective if we would take the time to interview these people. I really enjoyed my time with him.

I do wish he'd make covers for his amps, though.

------------------
Herb's Steel Guitar Pages
Texas Steel Guitar Association

Chris Erbacher

Post  Posted 13 Jul 2003 10:28 pm    

yeah, it was good to see that he has a sharp mind, very with it. i am aware of who was doing the interview with Mr. Webb, but i'm not going to say who it was because they might not want it all over the forum, but i was glad to hear that they were doing the interview, he seemed happy that they were there and recognizing him for what he has given to country music with his amps. the store i guess has been there for like, 47 years or so, and it's loaded with pictures of legends with his amps and signed pictures of many high profile artists, i really enjoyed my visit to the store, and meeting him. it's not often you get to meet the guy who made/ invented the amp you use, kind of like meeting leo fender or someone like that, and have them be very down to earth and eager to talk with you. i wish i could have more experiences like that. he seemed impressed that the amp was in such good shape externally despite it being late 70's/early 80's by his count. everyone there was super nice and hospitable, i imagine that is part of the reason his amps have survived and thrived in the limited market they occupy, customer service. many times when i go into a music store, the employees just see me as a guy to make money off of, and want to sell me something, even if it isn't what i need. bottom line i guess is that it is nice that there are Jimmie Webb's still around.

Jerry Roller

Van Buren, Arkansas USA
Post  Posted 14 Jul 2003 10:02 am    

Yes, Jimmie is a really fine man and I am glad you guys are putting these posts here
because I know that Jimmie regularly visits the Forum. I to, wish to not get too specific but some time back a Forumite listed his Webb for sale because he needed
money to help finance something he was doing in the Ministry, he hated to sell his Webb but really needed the money. Jimmie saw the post and emailed me and asked me to call him which I did. Jimmie asked me to try to get in touch with the Forumite and let him know that Jimmie wanted to pay him what he was asking for the amp and let the guy keep the amp. Now, what kind of a man would have offered to do that? He did not post the offer on here for the world to see but asked me to do it in private. Jimmie, If I'm out of order please excuse me.
Jerry

[This message was edited by Jerry Roller on 14 July 2003 at 11:04 AM.]

[This message was edited by Jerry Roller on 14 July 2003 at 11:11 AM.]

Chris Erbacher

Post  Posted 14 Jul 2003 2:18 pm    

see, this is what i'm talking about. when you get to talk to him, you can see that this is the kind of guy he is. in my previous post i mentioned customer service, and your post jerry alludes to this. makes me feel even better about having one of his amps. from what i hear, the guys at peavey take care of people too.

Jerry Roller

Van Buren, Arkansas USA
Post  Posted 14 Jul 2003 4:26 pm    

Chris, you are absolutely right about the guys at Peavey and in particular Mike Brown.
Then, also, I don't think anyone beats Ed
Buffington with Evans. He is the same kind of guy. I needed a part for my Webb and when I was talking with him on another matter I mentioned it and told him what it was far and he still sent it to me. I had an Evans cutting out, called and talked with Mrs Buffington, described the problem, she said I needed two gold input jacks, she sent them no charge and instructions as to which ones to replace and that fixed the amp. I have had a couple of other times Buffington has helped me big time. I didn't mean to get off topic, but all three of these guys are tops.
Jerry

Bill Simmons

Keller, Texas/Birmingham, AL, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 14 Jul 2003 6:06 pm    

Mr Jimmie Webb is without a doubt one of the sweetest and most generous people I know! I've had a Webb since '79 and they are just great like their builder. I had the honor to pick him and his assistant, Christina, at the Dallas airport for the Dallas convention this past March. We had a blast. I still think we need a "Hall of Fame" category for the wonderful steel guitar, amp, and effect builders. Blessings to Mr. Webb.

Kevin Hatton

Buffalo, N.Y.
Post  Posted 14 Jul 2003 9:16 pm    

Webb amps. They're a cut above. You get what you pay for.

Jimmie Webb

Antioch, California, USA
Post  Posted 16 Jul 2003 1:40 pm    

Chris E.

I just finished reading the nice warm note you wrote in the Steel Guitar Forum about me Jimmie Webb and the Webb Amplifier. It was nice to see and visit with you. I wish I had more time to visit and our conversation. Yes I was being interviewed by a representative of National Association of Music Merchants (NAMM), which was booked 2 weeks ahead of time. He knew I had been the music business in this area since 1949 and in the same location and same building since 1956. So I had seen a lot of changes in this business.

Again thanks for those kinds words. However there is probably a few people out there that don’t think that way when they contact me about the amp or parts and tell me they have changed the speakers and reverb, that takes away part of the webb sound. I still help them but it hurts…HAHAHA!

Jimmie D. Webb

Jimmie Webb

Antioch, California, USA
Post  Posted 16 Jul 2003 1:47 pm    

I would like to thank the following members for their replies:

Chris Erbacher, Gary Walker, Jerry Clardy, Herb Steiner, Jerry Roller, Bill Simmons, Kevin Hatton

Again id like to thank everyone one of you guys for your warm and sincere letters that were posted on the fourm. Those got to my heart, as I was reading them I told my assistant "If I read one more I think im gonna cry!"

Jerry Roller

Van Buren, Arkansas USA
Post  Posted 16 Jul 2003 3:15 pm    

God bless you real good Jimmie!!
Jerry

Bill Simmons

Keller, Texas/Birmingham, AL, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 16 Jul 2003 9:24 pm    

Can't help but say thanks Mr. Webb for helping me get my Webb Amp back!! You are so appreciated and a special friend. Plan to return to the Dallas show in March and I promise not to get us lost and go to the wrong Harvey Hotel! Bill Simmons

Jody Carver

KNIGHT OF FENDER TWEED
Post  Posted 24 Jul 2003 8:41 pm    

I received a phone call from Mr.Webb tonight.

We spoke of old times. Mr.Webb is a "Gem" in our world of music.

Thank you Mr.Webb.