The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Webb hum problem.
Michael Haselman

St. Paul
Post  Posted 14 Apr 2003 6:58 am    

When we play certain venues, I get a loud hum from my Webb. It's plugged into a generic power strip with my Line 6. Other places it's whisper quiet, no problems. Would a conditioning strip help this or is there something wrong the the ground circuit?

------------------
Marrs D-10, Webb 6-14E

Kevin Hatton

Buffalo, N.Y.
Post  Posted 14 Apr 2003 8:10 am    

Call Jim Webb. 925-757-1198.

Scott Swartz

St. Louis, MO
Post  Posted 14 Apr 2003 8:36 am    

I once fixed a Webb amp hum/noise issue by replacing the AC plug with a new 3 prong plug (someone had cut off the third prong to plug into a ungrounded outlet - dumb and dangerous).

If your 3rd prong is missing, try this first.

It could be the wiring in the club you are playing, lighting dimmers, motors on the the same circuit, etc.

Michael Haselman

St. Paul
Post  Posted 14 Apr 2003 8:40 am    

Scott: the 3 prongs are still there. If it is a problem with the club's wiring, which I suspect is the problem, will a power conditioning strip or anything else help?

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 14 Apr 2003 5:46 pm    

Usually, the hum or buzz gets in through signal leads (the vol. pedal, cords, etc.), and the amp's exposed (unshielded) wiring, so conditioning the incoming AC to the amp usually won't help much. Better quality dimmers, or the installation of a .005 1Kv disc ceramic across the old dimmer, will help, though. Cheap dimmers are the biggest "bad RF" generators there are. With a cheap dimmer, the lower the dimmer is set, the louder their radiated noise becomes. They generate a lot of harmonics, too, so it's hard to filter all the trouble causing frequencies. A well shielded pedal, good (and short) cords, and humbucker pickups might also help somewhat.

Jimmie Webb

Antioch, California, USA
Post  Posted 15 Apr 2003 3:39 pm    

I would like to comment on this but looks like all my thoughts have been taken. However, back in the 60's I would go to Reno Nevada (200 miles away) and that was before the Webb amp was born. With all the neon lites blinking we couldn't play in some places. Seems like someone then was trying to make something that would cut out the noise. Haven't heard anymore about it.

P.S. Maybe you should try to get the amp to sing instead of hum!!!!...HAHAHAHA!!!!