The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  1984 Mesa Boogie question
Lefty

Grayson, Ga.
Post  Posted 25 Mar 2003 5:05 am    

This concerns a 1984 Mesa Boogie amp I bought, but have not yet received. It is a narrow cabinet 1-12 with 60/100W switch located in the rear, Reverb and EQ, and a leather covering.
Could anyone help me with which series this would probably be? (Mark IIB, IIC or Mark III).
Thanks,
Lefty
Left-handed Sho-Bud LDG
Rickenbacker lap

Michael Holland

Nashville, Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 25 Mar 2003 5:38 am    

Hi Lefty,

Congratulations on your choice of a vintage Boogie.

'84 was the year of the Mark IIC and IIC+. The C+ began with SN 12500 and should show a plus sign above the power cable on the back panel. Mike Bendenelli's initials also appear on many of these superb amps. One great addition on the late IIC+'s is the 'pull deep' switch on the 'master 1' knob. This replaced the 'gain boost' pull and was carried over to the Mark III series. The 'pull deep' is perfectly voiced for PSG. I'm currently set up playing stereo through my '79 Mark II with D130F and my '84 Mark IIC+ Series 300 Coliseum with EVM15L. It's the biggest, fattest sound you ever heard.

Oh, and another interesting fact. Your Boogie may have been built by everyone's favorite host since Johnny Carson, our very own Bobby Lee!.

My Mesa Combos

Bobby Lee

Cloverdale, California, USA
Post  Posted 25 Mar 2003 4:59 pm    

Right. The sign of the person who wired the amp is inside the chassis, under the input jack. I used a "B".

Mike Bendinelli and I are still close friends.

------------------
Bobby Lee - email: quasar@b0b.com - gigs - CDs
Sierra Session 12 (E9), Williams 400X (Emaj9, D6), Sierra Olympic 12 (C6add9), Sierra Laptop 8 (D13), Fender Stringmaster (E13, A6),
Roland Handsonic, Line 6 Variax

Lefty

Grayson, Ga.
Post  Posted 26 Mar 2003 2:49 am    

Thanks for the information. Micheal that is quite a line-up you have. I would have liked to get the 1-15, but they are hard to come by. I will let you know about the markings inside when I receive the amp.
I was curious if the leather covering was a factory option? I believe it was at some period.
Thanks again,
Lefty

Michael Holland

Nashville, Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 26 Mar 2003 4:35 pm    

I believe that the leather coverings started in the 90's. I don't recall seeing a Mark II or III in leather. Sometimes Tolex is incorrectly described as leather, or it could have been recovered. Please post some pics of the amp when you get it.