The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  For Mike Brown: Amp Age
Tony Orth

Evansville, Indiana, USA
Post  Posted 12 Dec 2000 10:02 am    

Mike,
I know you probably have 100 things better to do but I hope you will help me.
I recently purchased a used Session 400 Limited. SN: 00-05556659.
1. Can you tell me the Year of production?
2. Is this amp called "the wedge"?
3. Would it benefit me to have the mod put in or is it already there?
4. Any value in plugging my steel into volume pedal and then directly into the return input on the Pre-eq Patch. This seems to give me a cleaner sound. ( realize the "sensitivity" control will be my only volume control in this configuration.

Mike Brown

Meridian, Mississippi USA
Post  Posted 12 Dec 2000 2:15 pm    

Hello Tony,
I am pleased to answer your questions. Your Session 400 Limited was manufactured in 1992. We did manufacture a Session 400 Limited wedge, but my records don't indicate that this is a wedge. But, if you say it's a wedge, it's a wedge.

It's a matter of opinion as to whether or not our Session 400 Limited mod kit will give you the tone that is "better". So far, everyone who has purchased it has been pleased with the outcome. You may download the documentation off of the Peavey website. The kit itself is available by contacting me here at the factory. My toll free number in the U.S. is 1-877-732-8391.

There is not really any value in connecting your volume pedal using this method. As a matter of fact(and I think that you realize this)you lose the use of the PRE GAIN control. There should be no reason to "not" have a clean signal when using the PEDAL PATCH in the PRE EQ PATCH. The correct method of patching is; connect instrument cable #1 from the output of your guitar to the #1 input on the amplifier. Using two more shielded cables, connect one cable from the "SEND" jack in the PRE EQ PATCH to the input of the volume pedal. Next, connect the third cable from the output of the volume pedal to the "IN" on the PRE EQ PATCH.

Let me know what you think.

Tony Orth

Evansville, Indiana, USA
Post  Posted 12 Dec 2000 2:46 pm    

Mike,
Thanks for the information. All is very useful. I really appreciate your support and participation on this forum.

I referred to this amp as a "wedge" because that was the only Owner's Manual I could download from Peavey that matched my Session 400 Limited. The instrument and back panels are identical so I was just assuming it was a wedge. It probably is not.

I have been pretty happy with the sound at higher volumes but it lacks articulation and some low end at lower volumes. I find this normal on most all amplifiers so I'm not worried. I think it will do fine when gigging.

I have noticed one small negative. After I power down the amp, about 10 seconds later I hear a slight/soft sound that sounds like a "raspberry", you know, stick your tongue out and blow. I don't know how else to explain it politely. Does this indicate that there is some slight malfunction in the unit?

I'm not sure what I'll do about the mod. Since I'm a new PSG player, I'll probably wait until I have a chance to use it out in a live situation and see how it does.

Thank you for all your valuable assistance.
I use other Peavey gear (Bass amps and PA equipment) and have been very happy with performance and dependability.
Later

Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 12 Dec 2000 2:55 pm    

Tony--you are wise to wait until after you have played the amp out to evaluate it. There's just no way to equate living room levels to real world driving.
Even then, your definitions of your sonic needs will always be shifting. You will drive yourself crazy but that's the fun of looking for 'that' sound.
BTW--I assume that 'wedge' refers to the shape of the enclosure--a wedge would point the speaker upwards a few degrees like a floor monitor. So you can identify your amp by that characteristic (or lack).
Most all amps I've ever heard make some sort of power down sound after a couple of seconds--a whistle, a click,--flatulence is a new one for me but it doesn't sound worrisome to me.

Tony Orth

Evansville, Indiana, USA
Post  Posted 13 Dec 2000 8:38 am    

Jon,
Thanks for the information and support.

This "tone" thing is really fleeting. I've played guitar and bass for years and I find it very difficult to be consistant. A lot of on it seems to depend so much on room acoustics. I notice this especially when playing bass. And, out-front is always so much different that on stage.

As for my amp type. I think it might just be a wedge. The top of the amp is about an inch or so narrower than the bottom, and the grill cloth frame leans back just a bit.
I'll have to take the grill off to see if the speaker does indeed sit at an angle.
Now what difference does this make?
None, no doubt. But we boys just like to know what toys we own.

Thanks, again, for your input.

Tony Orth

Evansville, Indiana, USA
Post  Posted 13 Dec 2000 8:42 am    

Mike, Jon,

Just another thought on that "flatulant" sound after power down. Perhaps its me.
I do have to bend over to flip the power switch off.

Seriously, Mike, if you have a different thought, let me know.

Mike Brown

Post  Posted 13 Dec 2000 8:57 am    

The description of the power down sounds normal. Since the Session 400 is all solid state, it would be normal for the amp to power down all at once as opposed to a tube, which slowly powers down.

Mike Brown

Post  Posted 13 Dec 2000 8:59 am    

Since the Session 400 Limited is a solid state amp, it would be normal hear a slight thump after the amp is turned off.

Tony Orth

Evansville, Indiana, USA
Post  Posted 13 Dec 2000 9:54 am    

Thanks, Mike
You're a great help!

BTW, I am assuming that this amp, being produced in 1992, has the 1501-4 BW in it.
There is a BW decal on the front but
there are no markings on the speaker frame.

I'll shut up now.

Tony

Mike Brown

Post  Posted 14 Dec 2000 6:44 am    

Tony, I believe that that year of Nashville 400 has a 1502-4 BW DT. But, to make sure check the white sticker that is located just above the red and black speaker terminals. I'm thinking that it has either a 1502-4DT or a 1501-4DT. We started using the 1501-4 BW SB(shallow basket) in approximately 1996.

However, the sticker will definitely indicate the model of speaker. If you have further questions, please feel free to contact me here at Peavey by calling our U.S. toll free number which is (601)483-5365. Outside the U.S., you may call (601)483-5365. I'll be glad to assist.

Rodney Shuffler

Montgomery, Texas USA (Home of the Bears)
Post  Posted 8 Mar 2001 1:08 pm    

The wedge looks like a monitor, not an amp....you would know right off if it was a wedge. Rod

I have one here now.