The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Still More Twin Questions
P Gleespen

Toledo, OH USA
Post  Posted 27 Feb 2001 5:20 am    

Do any of you have any experience with the Twin Amp that's referred to as "The Evil Twin" (but not the red knob one). They seem to have some interesting features, particularly the switchable power levels, but I wonder how they compare to the Twin Reverb.

Also, just what IS the difference between a Blackface Twin Reverb and the 70's Silverface ones. I know that the later 70's Silverfaces had a Master Volume added, but what else? (and is the Master Volume necessarily a Bad thing?)

I've spent most of my musical life researching bass amps (the original Ampeg SVT is unbeatable in my opinion, even with the added chiropractor bills from carrying those things around. But I digress...), so all these twin details are new to me!

Thanks for answering these questions, I appreciate the the input.

Dennis Wood

Savannah, TN USA
Post  Posted 27 Feb 2001 6:47 am    

I think the "The Twin" amp is better for rock/blues type music. When i was playing mostly rock/blues, i used a "the twin", and still have it. its an early 80's red knob model.I have used it for my steel and its ok, but not anything to get excited about.I also have used it with a Tele for more of a country sound and again, its ok,,,But,, Plug a humbucker guitar like a Les Paul into a The Twin, switch it to the 25watt output power setting, crank the gain and you get a sound like Clapton on the Blues Breaker CD. You can remove two of the four 6L6 power tubes for even more overdrive, another feature a rock/blues guitarist would like. The clean channel is pretty clean but NOT Twin Reverb Clean. If you want a great rock/blues amp that will really grind and overdrive, get a "THe Twin", if you want a Great clean country sound, go for the Twin Reverb. Just my opinion....
Dennis

CrowBear Schmitt

Ariege, - PairO'knees, - France
Post  Posted 28 Feb 2001 1:36 am    

Well uh, i've got one of those "Evil Twins" !
(the one w: the red knobs)
i've got 2 K 120 (12")speakers in it.
Basically, i've used it as a Guitbox amp.
Once i got my Bud, i plugged it in + was somewhat satisfied.
i believe that 15" speakers are where it's at for Steel !
i've used Fender amps from the git, Bassman,Bandmaster(w: 3 10" jensens),Twin from the Tweed series, then a Concert amp (Brown Tolex)a great amp, BF + SF Twins later on.
i would like to say here, that the Circuitry on the "Evil Twin" is really Cheezy.
Those green circuit board are junk !
Nothin' beats them hand wired amps Fender made back then. Lot easier to work on...
The "Evil Twin" certainly has some interesting sound capacities than the other Twins, but i sure as heck prefer them other Twins ! i've also got a SF w: D120F (orange)
i mostly use my Twins w: ma' Guitbox and a Peavy Eurosys 6 PA (Amcron amp, Yamahah MX12/4,+ Quadraverb) for the Steel.
Talk about luggin' round weight....
Overall i'm happy w: all this stuff though.
70's D10 Bud Pro, Fender Strat Ultra,Gibson Br6,Gurian JM,Godin LR Boggs, + Dobro Mandolin
Steel livin' in a material world..

Fred Murphy

Indianapolis, In. USA
Post  Posted 28 Feb 2001 7:00 am    

Fender has the new Cyber Twin coming out soon. It has built in amp modeling and effects. I heard it demonstrated this week, but all they were interested in was distortion for rock playing, so I don't know how it will sound for real guitar playing.

Tele

Andy W. - Wolfenbuettel, Germany
Post  Posted 28 Feb 2001 2:00 pm    

Jerry Erickson

Atlanta,IL 61723
Post  Posted 28 Feb 2001 10:48 pm    

Hi P,
The SF Twins had different value resistors in the phase inverter,driver section of the amp. Some of them had capacitors on the output tubes to help stop parasitic oscillations that were caused by bad lead dress. At some point in time they went to a 135 watt Twin with an ultra-linear output transformer and got further away from "that sound".As far as the master volume goes,SF Fenders have a pre-phase inverter master and from what I've read, the post-phase inverter master volume is the way to go. I better quit before I get in too deep.
Gerald Weber's books have good info on the Fender amps and also info on SVT's.
Jerry

P Gleespen

Toledo, OH USA
Post  Posted 2 Mar 2001 11:02 am    

Thanks Guys. I appreciate it. I think I've finally settled in on what I'm going for(probably a SF Twin and then get the BF mod done).

...and Crowbear, I've got to say, normally I can't tell WHAT the heck you're trying to say with that crazy writing style of yours, but this time, I think you've managed to express your point in a (relatively) lucid way!

Michael Brebes

Northridge CA
Post  Posted 7 Mar 2001 3:56 am    

Two of the big schematic differences between SF and BF is that the SF uses transformer taps for power tube grids and the infamous Master Volume control. They put a capacitor across the Master volume control that robs the amp of bass unless the control is set to "10". The first thing I did to one was to cut off the capacitor, which made more tone repair than many of the other mods.