The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  on the backside of the volume pedal...
Ed Miller Jr

Coldwater,Mi USA
Post  Posted 25 Feb 2001 3:59 am    

I run my Dekley s-10 through my Fender super twin reverb amp. I like the sound allright but its noisy as the day is long. I've tried it through smaller solid state amps and it's not as bad, I really prefer the twin sound. I remember reading on here something about playing on the "backside" of the volume pedal in an effort to quiet them down a bit. I realize it could be the original SC pickup also but I really don't want to make any changes the the steel if I avoid it. Can someone please explain.

ED

Moon in Alaska

Kasilof, Alaska * R.I.P.
Post  Posted 25 Feb 2001 11:11 am    

Ed, I'm not sure exactly what is noisy. Is it your volume pedal scratching or what ?? If it's the volume pedal, you can clean the pot for a temporary fix, but probably will have to replace it. Any way, let us know precisely what is happening.

------------------
<< Moon Mullin in Alaska >>
==Carter S-10==
<< Old Fender-400 >>
== Evans FET 500 Custom LV ==
Click HERE for Moon's Home Page

Ed Miller Jr

Coldwater,Mi USA
Post  Posted 25 Feb 2001 4:32 pm    

Jeez, Moon. I've been a guitar repairman for a while now. One would think I'd rememer to say its pickup noise. I really don't want to change the original pickup except as the last ditch alternative. I've played around with lowering my master volume setting and a few other things... HELP!!

ED

Moon in Alaska

Kasilof, Alaska * R.I.P.
Post  Posted 25 Feb 2001 4:47 pm    

You probably know this --- I play an Evans FET 500 here at home, and with 200 watts, I have to run the volume of my preamp on 2 [of a scale 1 to 10], and my master gain allmost off. I'm sure you have plugged in your guitar direct into the amp and bypass everything and see if the noise is still there. I have also
found some hum being picked up by my cables laying close to some source. Well, just a few shots in the dark !!!

------------------
<< Moon Mullin in Alaska >>
==Carter S-10==
<< Old Fender-400 >>
== Evans FET 500 Custom LV ==
Click HERE for Moon's Home Page

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 25 Feb 2001 5:02 pm    

There are several factors, one probably being the gain of the 12AX7 preamp tube. Does the amp have a lot of ambient noise? Maybe it needs retubed or at least the preamp tubes. The fact that it's not as bad with solid state amps says that it is most likely the tube amp.

Physical placement of the steel in relation to the amp will have an effect on noise, on non humbucking pickups.

Jim Smith

Midlothian, TX, USA
Post  Posted 25 Feb 2001 6:35 pm    

My guess is that the comment "playing on the "backside" of the volume pedal" probably referred to turning up the amp more and playing with the first half of the pedal throw.

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 26 Feb 2001 12:49 am    

I would try another brand of cords. It could be that you're picking up hum from a nearby electrical field. (Lamp dimmers, monitors, and flourescent lights are prime offenders.)

Bob Carlson

Surprise AZ.
Post  Posted 26 Feb 2001 6:48 am    

I'd also be supect of the tubes. My Fender Twin was only a couple of years old when It started frying bacon. I,d heard of session players back In the tube days replacing all the tubes as soon as the amp started making noise....so I replaced all mine and It's been real quite since. Cost me a bundle but It wasn't worth nothing the way It was.
I also tried putting my amp right In front of the steel and as someone else stated above....that didn't work. Got feed back like It was a mic.

Bob Carlson

Uff Da!

Michael Johnstone

Sylmar,Ca. USA
Post  Posted 6 Mar 2001 10:56 pm    

Ditto to what's been said.Single coil pickups can act like "hum finders" also.In other words,changing the angle and position between amp and guitar can reduce or increase hum.You might try checking the shielding/grounding/wiring in your guitar.Proximity to computer monitors,neon Budweiser signs and lots of other electronic gadgets can also call up lots of hum.Playing with gain structure as in "the backside of the pedal" is just a band-aid approach.