The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  recording mics
gary darr

Somewhere out in Texas
Post  Posted 24 Feb 2001 4:51 pm    

Has any one used the Rode NT1 mics to record with ? I'm looking for a good mic for vocal and to mic some acoustic guitar from time to time ,and BTW I'm on a tight budget $300.00 or less..... any sugestions out there?

------------------
sho-bud,session 500,american standard strat,shecter tele,peavy classic 50

mtulbert

Plano, Texas 75023
Post  Posted 24 Feb 2001 8:28 pm    

Hi Gary,

The NT1 is a big capsule mic but it sounds great. I use it on acoustic guitar primarily and I need very little processing with the mic to make the guitar sound good. You will need to roll off the bottom with it but that is no big deal.

It does require a power supply however to work.

Regards,

Mark T.

LARRY COLE

LANCASTER, OHIO, USA
Post  Posted 24 Feb 2001 9:37 pm    

Gary, go for the AKG C3000. I have one that I use for vocals, acoustic guitar, fiddle, mandolin, b**jo, miking amps and carry it to mike my Nashville 400 with my group. I have compared it with the NT1 and the Rode does not even come close to the quality of the AKG and it has a 10 db pad, bass roll off and has a pattern switch too. If you really want it or any condencer mike to come alive, get an ART Tube MP mike preamp. They are about $100-129. They are great for recording bass too, and they have Phantom power. All you have to do is plug the bass into it and adjust the trim and volume and you got a killer bass sound. I run mine (withe bass or mike) straight into a compressor and straight into an ADAT. I don't even record through the mixer, just playback.

------------------
LC. WILLIAMS U12, SHO-BUD PRO1,CARVIN TL60

Dave Boothroyd

Staffordshire Moorlands
Post  Posted 25 Feb 2001 1:20 am    

We have both at College, and for most acoustic instruments I prefer the NT1. I tend to use an SM57 dynamic mic for amps or an AKG C1000 for that capacitor sound. If you are in the market for a good mic. with a pre processor, the Joe Meek trackpack will do it all.
Having said all that when it came to spending my own money, at home I have the C3000.

------------------
Cheers!

Gary Steele

Columbus, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 25 Feb 2001 3:37 am    

AKG C535EB I think you will love it. GS

Tommy Detamore

Floresville, Texas
Post  Posted 25 Feb 2001 9:12 am    

Another good choice-Audio Technica 4033. Good all-round mike for most anything. I have seen these for 349.00 lately somewhere....

TD

JB Arnold

Longmont,Co,USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 25 Feb 2001 1:19 pm    

I have got the NT1 and the 1000 and they are both great. I like the NT1 for acoustic guitar especially. If I want a lot of air on the vocals, I use the NT1, otherwise The 1000 is a little better for breathy, compressed vox trax. It's more of a pop sound. The NT1 sure is good for clean, accurate reproduction tho. I'd get the NT if I had to choose.

John

------------------
Fulawka D-10 9&5
"All in all, looking back, I'd have to say the best advice anyone ever gave me was 'Hands Up, Don't Move!"
www.johnbarnold.com/pedalsteel

[This message was edited by JB Arnold on 25 February 2001 at 01:21 PM.]

Jerry Gleason

Eugene, Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 25 Feb 2001 3:01 pm    

This is a question that comes up repeatedly in the audio newsgroups and forums. It's a question that really has no right answer. Although I don't care much for the NT1, it might be the right mic for a given situation, depending on the type of voice, the individual guitar, the mic preamps you have available, and so on. There really is no "best" microphone. They all sound different, and none will be ideal for all applications.

Fortunately for the hobby recordist on a budget, there are some great microphone bargains out there. My recommendation for a single mic that sounds better than most in the applications you're talking about, would be the one that Tommy recommends, the AT 4033. This is a large diaphram condenser, like the NT1, but a big step up in quality, IMO. These can be had for $299 from 8th st. music ("bulk pack" with box and shockmount). Some of the MXL mics from Marshall Electronics (no, not that Marshall) are very good, too. Personally, I'd avoid the MXL2001P, it's roughly in the same catagory as the Rode NT1. Some people really like it, though. The MXL2003 is very nice, and so is the V67, especially for vocals. For an instrument mic, the MXL 603 small diaphram condenser is getting some rave reviews, and they are amazingly cheap, around 80 bucks or so online.

The Russian-made Oktava mics are also in the NT1's price range. You can find these at Guitar Center, but quality varies from one unit to another, and Guitar Center won't take them back, so try before you buy. I have an Oktava MC-012 that is really great for guitar, and works very well for male vocals as well.

There are a lot of good choices, but what works well for me or anybody else might not be the right thing for your situation. Try out as many as you can, and borrow or maybe even rent some if possible.

Mic preamps are a whole other discussion, but a poor preamp, including many of those in budget mixers, can make a great mic sound lackluster and muddy, wheras a good preamp can bring out startling detail in a Shure SM-57. The pre's in the Mackie boards, while not the greatest, are pretty decent for the cost.

The best prices I've seen online are at 8th street Music and Filament Audio.

[This message was edited by Jerry Gleason on 25 February 2001 at 04:33 PM.]

Glenn Austin

Montreal, Canada
Post  Posted 27 Feb 2001 8:49 am    

I would also recommend the Audio-Technica and the NT-1, but IMO a good preamp is more important than the mic.

Matt Farrow

Raleigh, NC, USA
Post  Posted 27 Feb 2001 9:41 am    

I have one of the Marshall MXL2001P mics, and I love it. It has a midrange presence that my AKG C3000 can't match. But again, they're not all as good as this one. The Oktava mics are good, but if possible try before you buy.

I agree about the mic pre - a good pre is as important as the mic. Some of my favorite guitar tones were recorded thru the humble SM57.

Matt Farrow
Pharaoh Amplifiers

------------------
Matt Farrow
Marlen 9-string 6+2
Kustom K150

http://surf.to/pharaohamps

Dan Tyack

Olympia, WA USA
Post  Posted 27 Feb 2001 9:57 am    

Pacific Pro Audio in Seattle imports a chinese large diaphram condensor mike that sounds really, really good. As good as any mike I have heard under a grand or so. It's $129 including a shock mount. Here's the URL: http://www.pacificproaudio.com/

------------------
www.tyacktunes.com

gary darr

Somewhere out in Texas
Post  Posted 27 Feb 2001 6:36 pm    

thanks for all the great response on my topic. I think I may try Dans suggestion on that import mic.I noticed there were several comments on using a mic/instrument pre-amp, maybe this is where I am missing some warmth and depth to my vocals (Mine happen to be nasal and whimpy anyway ) The rep I talked to at Pacific Pro Audio suggested a Blue tube pre amp by Presonus,it has two channels and 1/4 and XLR ins and outs sells for about $149.00 has any one tried one of these ? Again my hats off to you guys that take time out to help weekend warriors and novice like my self.

------------------
sho-bud,session 500,american standard strat,shecter tele,peavy classic 50

Dan Tyack

Olympia, WA USA
Post  Posted 28 Feb 2001 1:10 am    

Gary, you will be very happy with that mike. I have compared it to some pretty pricey mikes and I just keep going back to it. I would trust the Pacific Pro guys, they really do know their stuff and are just as happy to save you a few bucks (and have you come back as a customer).

------------------
www.tyacktunes.com