The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Opinions on a Peavey Valverb
Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 1 Feb 2001 7:33 am    

These are rack-mounted spring/tube reverbs. Do they sound good? Are they fragile... can they stand up to moderate professional use? How do they compare to a Fender Reverb?

Inquiring minds want information as one particular inquiring mind has an opportunity to get one and I don't want to spend the bucks on a Fender Reissue.

------------------
Herb's Steel Guitar Pages

Bill Terry

Bastrop, TX
Post  Posted 1 Feb 2001 8:22 am    

Herb, why don't you buy go ahead and buy it and let the rest of us know how it works out?

------------------
bterry.home.netcom.com

Rich Gibson

Pittsburgh Pa.
Post  Posted 1 Feb 2001 12:31 pm    

I had one of those a while back that I tried to use for guitar with an old bassman head & 410 cab(poormans supereverb)It fed back like crazy when I used it in front of the amp so I had a effects loop put in the amp and that worked better.The worst problem however, was that it was very sensitive to motion-stage a little rickety-too close to drummer-forget it.It also had no off/on indicator light.So,a big thumbs down from Pittsburgh.
By the way I enjoyed your new CD & am having alot of fun playing along w/ the rhythm tracks.They don't play like that in my neighborhood.

Rich Gibson

Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 1 Feb 2001 12:38 pm    

Quote:
The worst problem however, was that it was very sensitive to motion-stage a little rickety-too close to drummer-forget it... so,a big thumbs down from Pittsburgh

That reminds me why I went to digital reverb in the first place! Thanks. With this post and a couple of emails I received, I've decided to pass on this puppy.

Also, muchas gracias for the compliments on the album and rhythm tracks. Did you get the tab book also?

------------------
Herb's Steel Guitar Pages

HOWaiian

Post  Posted 5 Feb 2001 5:46 pm    

don't give up yet! I'm not sure how durable they are for road use, but in my experience the Valverb's a terrific sounding 'verb, if you like springs. you can get a real dark, rich tone with it (it's got tone and mix controls), and the trem is pretty good too.

My music partner's got one in his studio; we were working on a 50s mambo-style tune, and wanted a real vintage room sound. We ran the mix thru tape delay-->Valverb, and it came out sounding awesome!

I'd humbly suggest trying one out in yer chain before you decide agin' it.

how

Patrick Ickes

Upper Lake, CA USA
Post  Posted 5 Feb 2001 10:17 pm    

Herb,
I've had one for about 6 years. I use it with a '53 Twin Amp and an old D-8 Stringmaster. Never experienced the probs Rich mentions. Very sweet sounds and I think it sounds better than the Fender boxes....unless you're going for the Astronauts Boinging reverb sound. Check them out, I see them for sale here now and again.
I'm going to be in Kerrville TX April 22-28. Any music happening down that way. Won't be in Dallas this year.
Take care,
Pat