The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Nashville 400 Question on Mod Kit
Chuck Martin

Clifton, Virginia
Post  Posted 29 Jan 2001 8:29 pm    

I recently bought a Nashville 400 which sounds pretty good to me. I believe it was made in 1995. Is there anyway to tell by inspection if a Mod Kit (Peavey or LeMay) has already been installed?

Thanks, Chuck

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 30 Jan 2001 2:51 am    

Although there is better tone with either mod, the only real way would be to remove the chassis and check the components. I think the Peavey web site has a list of what is changed on the factory mod. A lot of what is changed on the factory mod is also changed on the Lemay mod - maybe not the exact same values but a change from the original component value. Also all the Lemay mods I've seen he color codes the IC chips (e.g top painted red, etc). If it has several IC chips with painted tops that could be an indication it has the Lemay mod.

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 30 Jan 2001 5:27 am    

If it's a 1995 model it did not come from the factory with the mod. That didn't start until mid/late 1996, starting with s/n 08575482

Chuck Martin

Clifton, Virginia
Post  Posted 30 Jan 2001 4:59 pm    

Thanks for the information Jack. I already checked the serial # and determined that mine was made before the factory mod kits were installed. I may take peek inside just to check but even without it (if it doesn't have one of the mod kits) this amp still sounds real nice and beats my old MM 212-HD for steel. The Music Man still rocks for guitar though.

Bill Terry

Bastrop, TX
Post  Posted 31 Jan 2001 7:30 am    

Look at the op-amps (the 8 pin ICs in sockets on the PCB). I think 4558's were used before the mods, at least that's what mine had. I've seen one mod kit from Peavey that called out TLO72's as the replacement, but the one on the web now uses OPA 2604's.

------------------
bterry.home.netcom.com

Mike Brown

Meridian, Mississippi USA
Post  Posted 31 Jan 2001 9:09 am    

Thanks for using Peavey gear, guys.

When we set out to offer Peavey steel guitar amp mod kits, we did quite a bit of "A/B" type of audible testing using my Emmons steel guitar. We also documented frequency responses and noise levels on at least ten IC's. Results from these tests narrowed our choice down to the Burr Brown IC model OPA2604. It seemed to have the smoothest characteristics with minimum noise.

However, testing such as this requires the "ears" of an expert. That expert happens to be one of our transducer engineers, who has a lot of background experience with various IC chips. He and I sat down at various times to listen to the IC's being considered for the kits. He also ran response curves on the various chips for comparison. Overall, the OPA 2604 had the best response and best noise specs of all tested. This is the chip that was chosen to use in our mod kits. It is considered among the best selections by technicians and companies in the audio industry.

We started modifying Nashville 400's shipped from factory beginning with serial number 08575482. If your Nashville has a serial number higher than this, it has the factory mod installed. We started using OPA-2604's when the kits were offered on our website late last year.

We have over 100 engineers here at Peavey who have vast experience in many different fields of electronics. As you know, our collaboration with Crest Audio allows us to purchase premium components at bulk prices. That's why Peavey is the best value, regardless of the price.

Besides, companies who "mask" their components might not be changing them out at all! We don't make you guess at what you are getting for your hard earned money.

Should you have questions, I can be reached toll free in the U.S. at 1-877-732-8391.

Mike Brown
Peavey Electronics Corporation