The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Profex 2 hookup
tim duvall

greensburg,pa,usa
Post  Posted 25 Jan 2001 6:53 am    

Hi guys,
I just bought a Profex 2 and need some help. I did a search and found that the prefered setup is to hook to guitar to the pedal then take the cord that would normally go to the amp and put that into the INPUT on the front of the Profex. THen I need another cord to run from the OUTPUT of the Profex into the amp. Is this right? I'm new at this if you can't tell already. I'm running it to a session 500 so if anyone has suggestions as to what INPUT to hook the profex into, I could use the hints.

Bob Knight

Bowling Green KY
Post  Posted 25 Jan 2001 7:09 am    

Tim,
Run out of your mono out jack from the ProFex to power amp in on you Session 500.
This will bypass your preamp in the Session, therefore your front panel controls will be inoperable.
Take care not to overdrive the output of your ProFex with the input level control.

You will probably get a clearer explanation from someone, but this is the basic(best) way to connect it.

Hope this helps you.

Bob

Bill C. Buntin

Post  Posted 25 Jan 2001 8:01 am    

Tim I just posted a reply to D.J. on a similar thread about distorting amps. I actually damaged a DDT Compression circuit with my ProfexII like Bob suggested could happen if the input or output is set too high. Seems like, the book on the ProfexII suggests that you give the profex as maximum a signal as you can and then turn the input knob counter clockwise until you just barely get the light to blink red for a split second. Ya'll correct me if I'm wrong, but that is how I remember it.
I then set the output on the back to 50% or 12:00 o'clock on the knob. One time I was playing with some guys for the first time, and everytime I would open up the volume pedal, my amp sounded overdriven. I fussed with it for a few songs, then got the flashlight and started looking at the profex. Their soundman had sneaked around and turned up the output of my profex! Boy I was hot! Needless to say, I learned alot from that one experience. Hope I helped. Regards.

Don Townsend

Turner Valley, Alberta Canada
Post  Posted 25 Jan 2001 9:05 am    

Tim, you might want to go to Peavey.com and download the manual for your ProFex.

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 25 Jan 2001 10:24 am    

I have a Transtube Fex, which is the later model that replaced the Profex II. I run the global output at 90, but I doubt that 100 (max) would make any difference. I use it that way either into my MosValve 500 power amp or into the POWER AMP IN on my Nashville 400 and there is no distortion. There should not be any distortion in your Session 500 either. If there is distortion, it may be a problem with the Session 500.

I had a Session 500 (one of the original smaller cabinet models) and used it for years. Eventually I started getting some distortion and it turned out to be the filter capacitors in the power supply. Old age had caught up with them.

John Knight

Alaska
Post  Posted 26 Jan 2001 9:57 am    

Hi Tim,
I use a ProfexII with a Nashville 400 and what works for me is to run from steel to pedal to amp. From the preamp out to the front of the profex unit and then from the left out on the back of the profes unit to the poweramp in. I think for the Session 500 both of these can be found on the back of your amp as it is with the 400. This allows me to adjust the presets with the amps preamps settings rather then digging in to the profex settings and adjusting them. Everyone plays alittle different and every room you play in is not the same.

Neale Tracy

Birmingham England
Post  Posted 29 Jan 2001 6:03 am    

Hi Tim.
For what its worth, I go from the guitar direct to the profex with input level very low and then go into a rack tuner then into the volume pedal and then my amp. I prefer to this than by-passing the pre amp on my amp.I like the versatility of this set up.
The profex effects seem to perform better with the signal direct into it with no signal variation generated by the volume pedal. Good Luck.

------------------
Franklin S10
Fender Strat
Godin Tele