The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  DJ Re-Mixing
Chris Dufrane

Constable, NY, USA
Post  Posted 14 Jan 2001 6:15 pm    

Hey guys, a friend of mine is a weekend DJ and he wanted to know if I can re-mix some songs for him on my computer. He doesn't have a computer and he's not into the whole deal of investing a ton of money to play $200-$400 gigs. His set up is pretty basic, CD player, tape deck, and other stereo equipment, PA, and lights. I was wondering what program would I need to do this type of stuff. I've got GoldWave, but I don't know how to use it to re-mix songs. Any ideas, I really don't want to spend much on software I won't use much. I just want to help my friend out. Thanks in advance for the replys...

Chris Dufrane

Chris Heinrich

Pensacola, FL
Post  Posted 15 Jan 2001 1:29 am    

Hey Bud,
Cool Pro is cheap and easy to use. Audio files eat up your hard drive, so prioritize. Hope this helps.
Chris

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 15 Jan 2001 3:34 am    

I use GoldWave for my audio "mastering". It's a great program for the price (I have a registered copy). What "remix" are you trying to do? Modify the actual song or just want to combine songs from several CD's on to one?

Chris Dufrane

Constable, NY, USA
Post  Posted 15 Jan 2001 8:19 am    

Jack, I'm trying to modify the actual song. Stuff I'd like to add are like scratching effects, and other effects to make a groove mix. Can this be done on GoldWave?

Chris Dufrane

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 15 Jan 2001 9:37 am    

I don't think you could do that with GoldWave. GoldWave is primarily for EQ, equalization, compression, balancing levels, etc and for fixing signals (e.g. taking pops out). There are other programs that will add all the techno stuff.

Dave Boothroyd

Staffordshire Moorlands
Post  Posted 17 Jan 2001 12:46 am    

You should be able to get something like Cakewalk Audio, or Fruity Loops or Acid DJ free from a magazine cover.
We have stacks of them lying about here, but we insist that the students use industry standard software- which is why I would do the job with Pro Tools-which is available as a free download in demo form, only I've forgotten the web address. I'd try the simpler programs first though unless you are a born tech-head!

------------------
Cheers!