The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Digital Equalizer Settings
Roy Thomson

Wolfville, Nova Scotia,Canada
Post  Posted 14 Jan 2001 12:17 pm    

I am confused by Equalizer parameters lingo.
I want to change my recording tonal qualities and need some help. The set up is like as follows:
Low Gain -12db +12db
Low Freq 40Hz-1.5Hz
Mid Gain -12dB +12dB
Mid Freq 200Hz-8kH
Mid Q 0.5 -16
Hi Gain -12dB +12dB
Hi Freq 500Hz-18kHz

Being used to analog tech the treble/bass settings were so simple.
Right now I am using the default settings on my recorder. I have tried experimenting but have no idea what I am doing. I would like to take some edge off my highs and add some bass.
Can anyone offer some help/suggestions?

Regards RT

mtulbert

Plano, Texas 75023
Post  Posted 15 Jan 2001 6:00 am    

Hi RT,

Let me first explain the settings to you if I may.

Gain is the addition or subtraction of a frequency. With Eq you can delete tone as well as add it. Think of it this way. Your old tone controls on your amp are all set at 12:00 and if you want more tone you add and if you want less than subtract.

The frequency is the "tone" part of the eq. Low Frequency is the bass end of the spectrum , mid the middle range, and hi is the upper registers and the overtones.

On your setup you also have a q for the mid range. That determines how much of the frequency you select is going to be changed by the eq setting. For example if you set the frequency of your mid at 5KH and the q at .5 then you are going to change only a very narrow range at 5Khz. If you change the q to 7 for example then you effect a much wider spectrum of octaves from the 5Khz point.

Now with all of the boulderdash out of the way how do you get what you are looking for?

More bass: Low Gain + 5 for starters adjust to taste. Low Freq start at 200HZ and adjust as well.

Depending on highs you might want to use the mid freq at 4 to 5Khz and start with the mid gain at -5 or 6 and adjust to taste.

Set the Mid q at 3 and also adjust to taste.

The Hi gain you might want to adjust as well depending on what your ears tell you. This is more of a presence and on a pedal steel grabs the overtones of the guitar. You might not want to adjust this at all.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Mark T.

Roy Thomson

Wolfville, Nova Scotia,Canada
Post  Posted 15 Jan 2001 6:43 am    

Mark, thanks for the information. I printed it off and will experiment with my settings now that I have a much better understanding.
All the best.
RT

C Dixon

Duluth, GA USA
Post  Posted 15 Jan 2001 7:19 am    

Mark,

VERY well done!

I congratulate you,

carl