The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  LexiconMPX-100 or Profex 2???
tim duvall

greensburg,pa,usa
Post  Posted 12 Jan 2001 10:13 am    

Hi guys,
I would like your opinion between the MPX-100 and the Profex 2. Which one would you go with and why?
Thanks

Dave Smith

Whipple/Marietta, OH USA
Post  Posted 12 Jan 2001 10:24 am    

I have them both Tim and if I could only have one it would be the Profex II. I find the MPX-100 has a very good rotary speaker effect (that's all I use mine for now) but I had a tough time getting the other effects that I wanted. There a lot of combinations of effects programmed into the MPX-100 but I found the Profex II much more user friendly and more versatile - plus the Profex is more than just an effects processor -JMHO FWIW

Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 12 Jan 2001 10:49 am    

I had both and went with the Lexicon exclusively. The reason for this is that while the PF2 sounds fine and has many, many sonic options available to the player, I found that I was really only using 2 or 3 of the Newman patches, and I was constantly having to tweak the reverb for the room I was playing. And as we know, since there is no "wet/dry" mix control on the PF2, "tweaking the reverb" means reprogramming the patch onstage. So personally, I didn't dig that feature, or lack thereof.

The Lexicon, OTOH, has a wide variety of time-delay effects/variations (reverb, delay, chorus, flange, rotary), and most importantly for me, a MIX CONTROL on the front panel which allows me to change the reverb level during the song more simply than the PF allows. And it does have those gorgeous Lexicon reverbs.

IMHO, the the toys are two different animals. The PF2 is wonderful as a one-space full featured pre-amp, while the Lexicon is a multi-effects unit. Since I use an Evans or Peavey combo amp and only need outboard reverb and occasional delay, the Lex is a better choice for my purposes. If you have a rack-mount amp system going to outboard speakers, the PF might be better.

Both are excellent units, depending on what you need and want. If you like to have a wide variety of pre-programmed sounds at your fingertips with significant changes in EQ, reverb, delay, distortion, etc., with each patch, the PF is probably what you want. If you want a wide variety of reverbs/delays only, and want to control the mix of wet to dry in the heat of battle onstage, the Lexicon is better for that, I think.

Of course, your mileage may vary.

------------------
Herb's Steel Guitar Pages

[This message was edited by Herb Steiner on 12 January 2001 at 10:55 AM.]

Bobby Lee

Cloverdale, California, USA
Post  Posted 12 Jan 2001 11:17 am    

The ProFex has a lot of effects that the MPX-100 doesn't, like EQ, compression, distortion, wah and pitch-shifting. These may or may not be important to you. Also, it's a preamp. The Lexicon isn't.

I had a TubeFex and I, like Herb, found it hard to control on stage. I like to reach over and turn the reverb up or down, and I like the tap tempo button on the MPX-100. I really only use 4 or 5 patches on it, and they all sound great. It's very clean and quiet. I get my EQ and distortion from a separate preamp. I do miss some of the other effects, though.

------------------
Bobby Lee - email: quasar@b0b.com - gigs - CDs
Sierra Session S-12 (E9), Speedy West D-10 (E9, D6),
Sierra 8 Laptop (D13), Fender Stringmaster D-8 (E13, A6)