The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Amp Placement
Rick Collins

Claremont , CA USA
Post  Posted 31 Dec 2000 7:05 am    

Where do you position your amp when you are practicing?
I must have mine about five feet from, and facing, my right ear or it doesn't sound like me playing and the tone is terrible if I don't have it in this position. I also need to have it off the floor (on a stool or chair).

Rick

Larry Bell

Englewood, Florida
Post  Posted 31 Dec 2000 7:59 am    

I don't practice through a combo amp at home -- I use my studio rack through my reference monitor amp and speakers -- in stereo with my guitar between the right and left speakers.

For gigs, I always try to have my amp(s) or speaker box(es) about chair height and about 5' behind me. If I use a single amp or speaker, I like it pointed toward my right ear. Since I usually set up on the left side (facing the stage), the rest of the band is to my left, so I prefer having my amp in my right ear. Just personal preference. I find it much easier to get the right eq and tone when my amp is a foot or two off the ground. I also avoid backing my speaker enclosure tight into a corner. Open back cabinets sound better if they have some room to 'breathe'. Having it off the floor and away from the wall is more important to me than whether it's on the left or right.

LTB

LARRY COLE

LANCASTER, OHIO, USA
Post  Posted 31 Dec 2000 9:51 am    

I play with my amp on an amp stand that puts it about a foot of the ground and leans it back. It is pointed at my right ear so I can reach out and change the settings while it is still sustaining. By the way, I mike it so I am the only one that has to hear it. I usually sit on the left so it is pointing away from everyone else in the group

------------------
LC. WILLIAMS U12, SHO-BUD PRO1,CARVIN TL60

Abe Stoklasa

Nashville, TN
Post  Posted 31 Dec 2000 9:05 pm    

I practice with amp headphones! They are really great quality headphones! Then, you can really perfect your style and smoothness, because its all natural sounding, and its all you hear! It's the way to go! Before I had them, I had my amp in front of me on an amp stand (It points it diaginally towards your face! If you need a great one, me and my grampa make them! They rock!)

------------------
Abraham - MSA D-10 Pedal steel, standel amp, George L 10-string bar, 2 finger picks and 1 thumb pick.
My Website!

basilh

United Kingdom
Post  Posted 31 Dec 2000 10:31 pm    

Hi Rick,
I must first admit that I only practice a little (Too Little), but when I do, I have the amp near enough and loud enough to interact with the guitar (the same as it does on stage).
To my ears There is a difference in tone AND sustain when practising via 'phones.
Baz

------------------

Basil Henriques
Emmons D-10 1970
and
Emmons D-10 1970 "Anniversary"
1949 "Leilani"
1939 Dickerson
RICKENBACKER "Olde Uglie" Twin 8
"Fender 1000"
"Gibson 3x8 Electraharp"

Quote:
Steel players do it without fretting

http://homepage.tinet.ie/~basilhenriques/

http://www.stax-a-trax.com/

Lee Baucum

McAllen, Texas (Extreme South) The Final Frontier
Post  Posted 1 Jan 2001 10:46 am    

Rick - I started a thread about this same topic a few months ago. I have always had a problem getting a decent tone out of either of my amps (Nashville 400 and Evans FET 500) in my practice room. The room is quite small and has a desk, a computer desk, a file cabinet, and book shelf in it. The only way I have been able to get a decent sound is to set my amp about eight inches away from the wall and lean it back against the wall. I then place my guitar directly in front of the amp, so the speaker is pointed right at my face. Even at low volumes, the tone is pretty good. I have to crank up the highs quite a bit. A small room with carpet and lots of furniture is not the best place to get the optimum tone out of an amp. I just feel blessed to have a place where I can set up my stuff and have some privacy.

Lee, from South Texas

Gene Jones

Oklahoma City, OK USA, (deceased)
Post  Posted 1 Jan 2001 12:02 pm    

Get a Walker stereo amp and leave your speakers in the truck when you come home. With a good pair of ear-phones you get the same "live" effect as with your speakers.

Hook Moore

South Charleston,West Virginia
Post  Posted 2 Jan 2001 11:50 am    

i always place the amp in front of the guitar facing me,either practing or live gigs..on live gigs i go direct from one side of a stereo volume pedal and use the amp basically for a monitor that i can adjust to my ears without affecting the front mix.