The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Early Session 400 Settings
Rob Segal

New York NY
Post  Posted 16 Dec 2000 6:11 am    

I just got an early (pre-parametric) Session 400 with a JBL, and it sounds great.As of now I've got presence and treble at 12 noon, mids cut to 11 o'clock, bass boost to 3 o'clock, and shift at 1:30-2:00 o'clock. I'm keeping "sensitivity" just below the volume setting, a la Nashville 400 instructions.

Does anyone have recommendations for typical/starting settings for this amp? I've heard talk of a "sweet spot" where nirvana is achieved......and should the sensitivity be max'd out or kept below volume?

I realize it's all in the ears, but I can't resist asking for how other's have done it.

Thanks,

Rob Segal

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 16 Dec 2000 6:30 am    

Parametric EQ on a Session 400? None of them that I've seen has this, however, the Session 500 and the Nashville 400 does.

I had a reissue 90 model Session 400LTD that I had for ten years that basically collected dust because I could never find a setting that I liked. Someone told me that was because I was used to the parametric EQ on the Session 500 I had and now a Nashville 400.

Ernie Renn

Brainerd, Minnesota USA
Post  Posted 16 Dec 2000 3:25 pm    

In '80 Buddy used my Session 400 at a steel show in Minneapolis. This is the way he had it set: Pres: 6.5 Treb: 6 Mid: 4 Shift: 10 Bass 7.5. I kept them that way for quite a while. They worked great!

------------------
My best,
Ernie

The Official Buddy Emmons Website
www.buddyemmons.com

Dennis Detweiler

Solon, Iowa, US
Post  Posted 16 Dec 2000 5:38 pm    

Hi Rob....I play through two Session 400s. Tone setting will vary a little depending on volume pedal used, pickup, touch, hand position, etc. I've had to reset mine since going from a pot pedal to a Hilton infrared pedal. But this is a general setting that I've used for 24yrs:
Presence: 11 to 2 o'clock
Treble: 1 to 3 o'clock
mid: between 8 and 9 o'clock
Shift: between 12 and 1 o'clock
Bass: 3 o'clock to full open
Sensetivity: Depending on if you have any preamp toys..1 o'clock to full open
The sweet spots may vary a little but are easy to locate. There is always a spot in the sweep of the tone control that makes a drastic change in tone within a few degrees of turn on the knob. I usually find that spot and back it off (counterclockwise) to that position just a slight amount. Sometimes you can just put your ear in front of the speaker without striking a note and just listen for the hiss from the treble and presence or the lower frequency of the bass tone noise.
Another theory told to me by an older steel player is basically to turn all knobs right and then cut back on the tones that "don't" sound good to you, rather than adding tone clockwise until it sounds good. ??
Experiment and this should get you close
Dennis

[This message was edited by Dennis Detweiler on 16 December 2000 at 05:42 PM.]

Rob Segal

New York NY
Post  Posted 17 Dec 2000 8:59 am    

Dennis, I seem to have fumbled my way towards your settings. Ernie, I'm surprised that BE shifts all the way to 10, maybe that's his secret.....Thanks to both of you for your responses.

Rob