The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Cassette Deck
Ken Williams

Arkansas
Post  Posted 11 Dec 2000 4:17 pm    

I know this is a little off topic here but I need some advise. I bought an RCA tape deck at Radio shack, I forget the model number. One of the main reasons I bought it was because it had a pitch control. I had my old deck outputs y-jacked with a 16 track board outputs into the aux "in" of my stereo amp. When I connected the new deck the only time that the board would produce sound was when the cassette deck was in the play mode. In other words when I would play steel along with a tape everything was fine. But hit "stop" on the tape deck and it shuts the sound off from the board. I took the tape player back for a refund. Does this feature have a name? Has anyone else experienced this? Are there any brands I should steer clear of because of this?

Ken

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 12 Dec 2000 3:32 am    

I'm moving this to Electronics.

However, it sounds like the tape deck puts a short on the output line when it's off. Normally any device has it's own input into a stereo system and this is not a problem.

I don't know if just this particular model does that or it that one is defective and another one might not do that.

Just connecting the two outputs together in the "Y" as you are doing means either one can affect the other. If you are going to "mix" two ouputs together you need isolation between them so one does not affect the other. A cheap resistive mixer would probably do the job. Or you could even try to make a "Y" with two 47K ohm resistors and connect the output of the mixer board to one resistor, the output of a tape deck to the other resistor and then connect the other ends of both resistors together and then connect that to the input of the stereo.