The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  line 6
Neale Tracy

Birmingham England
Post  Posted 6 Dec 2000 1:59 pm    

As anyone tried a line 6 pod pro in there set up or a boogie v twin pedal, I am considering either in order to plug direct to the PA system. Any other suggestions welcome. I use a profex 11 at the moment and will keep it for the reverbs etc but I dont really like the pre amp side of it.

Glenn Austin

Montreal, Canada
Post  Posted 7 Dec 2000 12:05 pm    

Hello Neale. I have tried the Line6 Pod, and the AmpFarm plug in, with my steel and I found that I couldn't get a clean enough amp model to make it work for me. Pod is great for regular distorted guitar tones, but doesn't get clean enough for steel. Have you considered using a direct box directly into a channel on the P.A, then getting your monitor feed off a wedge monitor. Bass players all work like this and they get clean sound.I find plugging in direct gives a much sharper, clearer sound, but that depends on the P.A console. A v-twin pedal
is a distortion pedal so I don't think that would work too well on steel.A Mesa Boogie tube preamp sounds great, but costs an arm and a leg.I can't begin to imagine what that would cost in England.There is a company called Johnson who makes a product called J-Station. It does what Pod does,but apparently is better at clean sounds. I've heard this from a couple of people, but have never tried one. Good Luck

John Steele

Renfrew, Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 7 Dec 2000 12:11 pm    

I opened this thread because I was talking to a guitarist at a rehearsal this week who was raving about a new Line 6 amp (for guitar, I believe) which had a single 12" speaker in it.
The more he talked about it, the more interested I was in seeing it... perhaps it would make a good rehearsal amp for steel ?
I wish I knew the model #, but I don't.
-John

Jim Smith

Midlothian, TX, USA
Post  Posted 7 Dec 2000 12:17 pm    

They're shown on Line6's web page. Go to http://www.line6.com and click on "Products".

Jay Ganz

Out Behind The Barn
Post  Posted 7 Dec 2000 12:54 pm    

Well there's two other similar units out
there now that might have more clean settings
on 'em.....Yahama's DG Stomp & Johnson's
J-Station
modeling preamp. You might wanna
look into those.

------------------
Keep Steelin' !!!

Greg Derksen

Alberta, Canada
Post  Posted 7 Dec 2000 3:09 pm    

Unfortunatly in my opinion, the clean tone is where that unit suffers, I think however,
if you went straight to tape it wouldn't be bad. For live it really sounds soupy.
A band I play with, opened up for a (more
famous band) Anyways both guitar players
were using them, I never heard such a washed
out tone, clean sounds lacked body and clarity, but oh how convenient. Small
lightweight, flexable. I just can't do it
though! Greg

David Johnson

Purlear NC
Post  Posted 8 Dec 2000 6:38 am    

I JUST RECENTLY PURCHASED A POD 2.0 VERSION AND I TOO AM VERY DISAPPOINTED WITH THE LACK OF CLEAN PREAMP SOUNDS FOR STEEL. IT SEEMS TO CLIP EVEN WITH THE TUBE PREAMP FUNCTION AND LOW INPUT VOLUME. ALSO IT HAS SOME POST PREAMP HISS THAT I HAVE ONLY BEEN ABLE TO HANDLE IN THE STUDIO WITH A GATE. IT WORKS FOR ELECTRIC GUITAR BUT I WENT BACK TO STUDIO PREAMPS LIKE DEMETER, AVALON,ETC. FOR STEEL.
APPLIED RESEARCH AND TECHNOLOGY (ART) HAS A SMALL TUBE PREAMP THAT I HAVE DONE OVERDUBS WITH FOR LESS THAT $150 THAT DOES REAL WELL WITH STEEL....MOST MUSICAL CATALOGS HERE IN THE STATES LIST IT.
SO WHAT DO WE DO WITH THESE PODS. HOW ABOUT A MASS BURNING???????? AS FAR AS STEEL GOES, I BLEW 350.00 DAVID J.

Bill Leff

Santa Cruz, CA, USA
Post  Posted 8 Dec 2000 11:08 am    

I've had a POD for quite awhile, and like it a lot, and get some good clean sounds from it (with standard electric guitars such as my Gibson ES335 and Danelectro Baritone and lap steel). I don't play pedal steel so I can't speak to that.

For me, the big problem with clean tones on the POD is lack of volume and lots of audible hiss. See my other post for a possible workaround to the hiss problem if interested.

-Bill

Greg Derksen

Alberta, Canada
Post  Posted 8 Dec 2000 3:11 pm    

I don't mean to trash it, it has a purpose,
scratch tracks for instance, quick set-up,
many different sounds, but I think too
many people are looking at this technology
like some type of savior from the weight
and cost of good tube amps.
A friend just called me complaining about
the fact he could not get a good clean tone
out of it (Tele), even with all the different
modelling in it,
I brought the unit home and in 20 minutes
realized what this unit can and cannot do.
it does 40 things average, some better than others, to be fair to the unit though, how
can it?
For the money its pretty good, but it is
not a Matchless or 65 Twin rapped up in a
convenient package, I actually feel sorry
for the engineers trying to emulate the complexity and nature of a good tube amp.
Good Luck! Greg

Bill Fulbright

Atlanta, GA
Post  Posted 10 Dec 2000 3:03 am    

EEEK! I am buying my first steel soon, and was planning on using my pod as an interface because I also have the floorboard w/ the volume pedal.

I also play at church and this works out great for my regular guitars because the guys on the sound boards get to have a direct signal, but I also get to have a sound like my guitar went through an amp (and I give myself a stage feed through my own small amp on stage).

I am disappointed to hear these things. I was hoping to use the delay, chorus, flange, rotary speaker, tremolo and find a good clean output.

------------------
aka Moe Humble on
Fender Discussion Pages; Gibson ES-165; '74 Schecter Strat; Peavey Classic 50 410; Pod 2.0

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 10 Dec 2000 5:28 am    

Bill, unfortunately a lot of the devices that work great with a guitar, do the exact opposite with a steel. We steelers are forced to mostly adapt devices made for guitar and many work well, and many don't. Same with amplifiers, a great sounding guitar amp may not cut it for steel and my Nashville 400 is just barely adequate for my Telecaster.

Martin Abend

Berlin, Germany
Post  Posted 10 Dec 2000 9:59 am    

Hey, it's not that bad!

At first I also had some problems to get a good clean sound but with some experimenting I finally found some clean and overdriven sounds I really like. Since the POD clips pretty soon indeed I use a cheap Behringer Preamp (MIC-2000) to weaken the signal. My favourite emulated amp is the AC-30. At low levels you can get a very warm clean sound and you can softly drive it to clipping. I think it's really good. I disable the speaker-emulation because none of the speakers seem to sound appropiate for steel.
I guess no really need some time for playing with this device, but once you've found the sounds that you like you work very effective with it. The fx are not comparable with most 19"-processors, but they are absolutely usable.

------------------
martin abend my homepage martinabend@yahoo.com
s-10 sierra crown gearless 3 x4 - fender hotrod deluxe