The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  The Old "Boss Tone" Unit
Gary Dillard

Tuscaloosa, AL
Post  Posted 7 Dec 2000 8:03 pm    

Does anyone remember the boss tone from about 15 years ago? It made a violin sound and was used on the opry by Weldon Myrick, Sonny Burnette, and others.
I would like any advice on someone than can repair one. It probably needs a new board inside, but I really don't know. I am wanting to bring it back out.
Thanks

Keith Hilton

248 Laurel Road Ozark, Missouri 65721
Post  Posted 7 Dec 2000 8:38 pm    

Gary, Jack Stoner has the electronic diagrams on the unit. He used to fix them. Once you get the diagrams from Jack, any repairman could fix it. At one time Jack posted the diagrams here.

Jim Smith

Midlothian, TX, USA
Post  Posted 7 Dec 2000 9:12 pm    

That's great news! I didn't know they could be repaired. In a similar vein, does anyone know where to get replacement knobs? Both of my knobs are broken and almost everyone I've seen had at least one broken.

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 8 Dec 2000 4:11 am    

They can be repaired, depending on what's wrong with the unit. The original transistors are no longer available and Motorola (the transistor manufacturer) no longer even has any tech info on them to cross reference. It's sort of a shot in the dark till you find one that will work satisfactorily in it.

I've got one of those "ROUNDTUIT" projects that I've been working on (mostly off) of building a clone with different transistors. One of these days I'll get back on it.

Knobs are probably not to be found - or at least something that will work. Maybe an old transistor radio may have something in it that will work in place of the original ones. A lot of the small imported radios from the 60's used similar knobs.

Matt Farrow

Raleigh, NC, USA
Post  Posted 8 Dec 2000 6:13 am    

Are we talking about the Jordan Bosstone, little 2-knob fuzz that plugs right into your guitar? I've successfully built these with both Germanium and Silicon transistors. There's nothing really complex about these units, and I'm sure yours is repairable. I build custom fuzz pedals (and other things) and one of the pedals I used to make is a "clone" of the Bosstone. As far as knobs, well I'm sure something will turn up. I'd be happy to repair it for you if you can't find anyone locally. Email me.

Matt Farrow http://surf.to/pharaohamps

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 9 Dec 2000 7:37 pm    

I'm sure anyone with a small lathe could turn you a couple of knobs out of plastic, or even aluminum bar stock.