The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Headset Microphone
steve takacs

beijing, china via pittsburgh (deceased)
Post  Posted 30 Oct 2000 3:36 am    

Can anyone suggest a good headset microphone I might use that won't break the bank. I need something that fits on the head that will make the simultaneous singing and playing of steel easier. Adios, Steve

Les Wright

Norfolk,England
Post  Posted 30 Oct 2000 5:19 am    

Steve I use A Beyer TGX45 which can be either used with a radio system or with a belt clip to adapt it for use with a normal microphone lead. It does need phantom power however which is available on most pa desks.

Bill Tauson

Chino Valley, Az.
Post  Posted 30 Oct 2000 10:10 am    

Steve,

I bought an "Audio-Technica" model. It's a lower end type and you can get them for less than $100. I wasn't real happy with the quality but you get what you pay for. I just bought an "AKG" model. It does require phamptom (sp?) power through the pa system or you can buy and attachment for it. That was about $200 and it sounds real good. Both of these are hard wired and not the wireless type. Since I basically sit at the steel, I didn't feel the need to spend more on a wireless type. One down fall is there is no switch to turn it off and it's always on.
These are the only 2 that I've used so I don't know which brand is the best.

Michael Brebes

Northridge CA
Post  Posted 2 Nov 2000 6:32 am    

They cost over $200 but the Crown CM211 (I think that's the number, but Crown only makes one) is a great mic to use. If you're doing any lead singing it's the way to go. If not, then you might be able to get away with an Audio Technica or Shure, which I think fall in the $100-150 range.

Rick Tyson

Ohio
Post  Posted 2 Nov 2000 10:58 am    

Heres a homemade head set I made last winter with built in monitors I use for the really big shows!! Its a little rough on the neck about 40lbs but I never have any problem hearing myself.
What do ya think?? Should I apply for a patent??

steve takacs

beijing, china via pittsburgh (deceased)
Post  Posted 5 Nov 2000 12:10 pm    

Yes indeed, Rick; go right ahead and apply for that patent. Wish I could help you. but I don't know where the patent office is on planet Mars. Guys, I appreciate all your suggestions. Thanks, Steve

Michael Johnstone

Sylmar,Ca. USA
Post  Posted 6 Nov 2000 12:39 pm    

Before I quit pretending I could sing,I used to use a rig I made from Atlas mic stand parts.It was just a right angle threaded clamp which I attached to the right front leg of my steel about 1 or 2 " from where it screws into the body of the steel,and onto this clamp I attached an 18" gooseneck which I was able to bring up to mouth level.Then I just used either a Shure PE56 w/an on-off switch or a regular SM58 with a special Switchcraft XLR plug that has an on/off switch on the side of it.The beauty of this rig was that I could "work" the mic in a way you can't do with a headset mic which is always at a fixed distance from your mouth.Besides that,it was easy to unclamp and stash in my steel seat.Cheap,too....Besides, who wants to look like Girth Brooks? -MJ-