The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Bose 802 speakers
Lefty

Grayson, Ga.
Post  Posted 28 Oct 2000 5:30 pm    

I would like some input on these speakers for PA purposes. I know there is at least one expert on every subject I have seen on this forum (thats part of what is so good about it).
I bought a pair of these to use for a in-home PA for myself, my wife, and friends to play through. I have used 901's for stereo for years because I like their natural sound, particularly for acoustic. Has anyone used these, and if so what is your opinion of them?
Thanks.
Lefty
Sho-Bud LDG
Gibson and Rickenbacker Lap
Dobro Resophonic

Van Ertel

Lutherville, MD USA
Post  Posted 29 Oct 2000 5:58 pm    

If I remember correctly, the Bose 901's were popular back in the 70's. Bose subsequently came out with the 802's for PA applications. I think both products were overpriced for what was in them. I worked for Maryland Sound Industries at the time and made copies of the 802's, which didn't sound bad as long as you didn't expect them to throw very far. They were only acceptable for very small rooms and sometimes for monitors.

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 29 Oct 2000 6:39 pm    

Doesn't Bose recommend "firing" these speakers into a corner to get maximum dispersion? Like Van, I think they're overpriced (compared to a couple of good 12" floor monitors that would probably blow them away.) But, I suppose in a house, you won't need much "throw"...unless it's Bill Gate's house!

Lefty

Grayson, Ga.
Post  Posted 30 Oct 2000 4:41 pm    

The 901's are rear throw with 9 drivers (hence, 901's). The 802 are front throw and have 8 drivers. They might be overpriced as you said (what ain't these days), but I got them for about half of new price. They also take up less space, and unike the 901's, don't have to be positioned 12-14" from a wall, etc. I guess I have liked them since they were used at a club called the "Moonshadow Saloon" in the 80's, and sounded very good in there. I saw many a great band in there. (Emmylou Harris, Tony Rice, David Grisman, Muddy Waters) and they sounded great. We will see, if I sound like crap through them, I will blame the speakers.
Lefty

Lefty

Grayson, Ga.
Post  Posted 4 Nov 2000 6:06 am    

I don't think we have a source here for this subject. Jack, may as well clear it. I will give a report when I get the Bose up and running.
Thanks,
Lefty

Mario Cuppetelli

Alpena, MI
Post  Posted 4 Nov 2000 6:27 am    

Lefty,

It is not just the speakers. What you use for mic's,a board, what signal processors and amp all make a difference in what your sound will be like. Cheap equipment will make the best speakers sound BAD.

Mario
visit our web site www.firstassembly.alpena.net

[This message was edited by Mario Cuppetelli on 04 November 2000 at 06:27 AM.]

[This message was edited by Mario Cuppetelli on 04 November 2000 at 06:29 AM.]

Randy Russell

Fruitland, Iowa
Post  Posted 4 Nov 2000 11:23 am    

Lefty:
My band used two sets of these in the mid-1980's. They were loud and clean and light. We played rooms of up to 1200 people with them with no problem what-so-ever.
Randy

Lefty

Grayson, Ga.
Post  Posted 4 Nov 2000 4:07 pm    

I'm no source for PA gear, but I tried. I will be using a Mackie 808 S powered mixer, along with the bose controller. This mixer has (2) 600w @ 2ohms amplifiers. It will put out 300 per side @ 8omhs for the bose 802's. This will be my first Mackie mixer as well, but I have read good things about them. I will give a report when I have it up and running in about a week.
Keep on slidin
Lefty
Sho Bud LDG
Gibson and Rickenbacker Lap
Dobro Resophonic