The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Help w/ Real Tube II preamp
Rich Gibson

Pittsburgh Pa.
Post  Posted 31 Oct 2000 7:50 am    

I picked up a Real Tube II on Ebay recently,unfortunately it didn't include a mannual.I'm using channel B (I assume the clean channel?)& using the effects loop to patch in a Yamaha spx-90.I can't seem to find a setting for the level control(s?)on the back.It sounds pretty good at practice volume but anything close to realistic stage volume is distorted&feeds back.I have both in &out levels on the spx-90 on -20.
My routing is:Steel to preamp/ spx-90 in effects loop Chan B /instrument level out to power amp in on session 400.Somethin' ain't right.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated,as well as any favorite tone settings.

Thanks
Rich Gibson

Steve Feldman

Central MA USA
Post  Posted 31 Oct 2000 8:08 am    

I have a Tubeworks 9002 preamp and I use a similar setup. I can't recall what outputs are on the back (I'm not home right now), but I go straight from the preamp to the effects unit without using the preamp effects loop. That is, I set the the output level controls on the preamp to zero and just go direct (instrument out) to the effects unit and use the level controls there. I'll take a look at it tonight to see how I've mangled this explanation.

Also, on the B channel, I keep the gain down below ~10:00 at the max, and adjust the amp volume as necessary. I also keep the lows ~2:00-3:00, mids ~10:00-11:00, and highs ~11:00-1:00. Hope this helps.

Bobby Lee

Cloverdale, California, USA
Post  Posted 31 Oct 2000 8:21 am    

My wiring is the same as yours, but I'm using a Lexicon MPX-100 and a Mesa 50/50 power amp. I rarely touch the volume control on the preamp. Instead I use the "Output" knob on the front of the Lexicon to adjust the volume. Since this is after the preamp and effects in the chain, it has very little effect on the tone of the rig.

For living room playing, I also turn down the power amp. It has a "half power" switch and two volume controls. Normally I run the amp pretty hot, but for practice this is the easiest way to keep the neighbors from complaining.

I have the effects level knobs in the back of the preamp set to 5 for both channels, and my volume for Channel B is at about 3. I just set them to get the proper level into the Lexicon.

------------------
Bobby Lee - email: quasar@b0b.com - gigs - CDs
Sierra Session S-12 (E9), Speedy West D-10 (E9, D6),
Sierra 8 Laptop (D13), Fender Stringmaster D-8 (D13, A6)

Bobby Lee

Post  Posted 31 Oct 2000 8:31 am    

Steve's post made me run down and look at the unit again. I do use the loop, and all 3 knobs in back (the send and both returns) are set to the midpoint (5). My preamp is an older RT-922. I use the 0db outputs.

Steve Feldman

Central MA USA
Post  Posted 31 Oct 2000 7:30 pm    

Yup - had a closer look tonight, and I'm going out ot the 0 dB line outs as shown by the XXs below. Works for me.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Effects Loop Dry
_____________ _____________ ____________________ _____________
Line Inst. Line Inst. Level Level Send Line Inst.
Out Out Out Out A B Out Out
A A B B Rec. Rec.
0 dB -20 dB 0 dB -20 dB
---------------------------------------------------------------------
XX XX

[This message was edited by Steve Feldman on 31 October 2000 at 07:34 PM.]

Rich Gibson

Pittsburgh Pa.
Post  Posted 1 Nov 2000 8:37 am    

Thanks Steve & Bob for taking the time to respond.I played around for a while last nite & the spx-90 just doesn't seem to like the effects loop.It might be time for an upgrade there-mpx-100 maybe?I had better luck running w/Steves set up although I'm still not thrilled with this thing.Do either of you guys(or anyone else) have the "steel mod"?I gather this involves padding down the input?I am looking for clean.Anyone have the specifics on this so I could take it to a local Tech? Thanks again for your help-I'd be lost in the wilderness.

Rich Gibson

Bobby Lee

Post  Posted 1 Nov 2000 9:33 am    

I don't have the steel mod. With the volume on 3, it's clean enough for me without the mod.

Leon Roberts

Tallahassee,FL USA
Post  Posted 1 Nov 2000 12:58 pm    

Rich, If You have a dBm level switch on Your SPX-90, try it on +4. I have a RT-924 Blue-Tube II and a Boss SE-50 effects processor. I have to set the SE-50 on +4 dBm and the loop pots on 5 (half way) on the PreAmp effect loop. When I first tried to run the SE-50 on -20, I got distortion like You describe. I also run out of the line level outputs to the power amp like the other guys do. Hope this helps.
Leon

Rich Gibson

Pittsburgh Pa.
Post  Posted 1 Nov 2000 4:57 pm    

Thank you Leon.With the mere flick of a switch...I was deffinately in the land of too many knobs.Anyway this preamp is getting good to me.It has alot more deffinition than the stock preamp on the session 400.At least for the momment.

Thanks again
Rich Gibson

Steve Feldman

Central MA USA
Post  Posted 1 Nov 2000 5:55 pm    

I really LUUUUUV my Tubeworks. I think it's kind of underrated - or underappreciated, or something like that. It does have the steel mod, but I have never compared it to a non-mod unit. Like -b0b-, I keep the gain down below 3 (10:00) and it is clean all day long.
Steve