The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Profex ll question
Steve Stallings

Houston/Cypress, Texas
Post  Posted 13 Oct 2000 5:49 am    

The band I work for has a 30,000 watt concert sound system. I am getting a profex ll in the nest few days and plannned to run it direct into the PA. I notice that the back panel has 1/4 inch sends. I need to plug this into a XLR snake box. What is the best way to proceed?

------------------
Steve Stallings
Bremond, Texas
Carter D10/Evans

Bill Ferguson

Milton, FL USA
Post  Posted 13 Oct 2000 8:12 am    

Steve, I have the same situation, but not 30,000 watts.

The two sends are left and right channel. This means that unless you are sending both channels, you should reprogram all your settings in Mono, so you will get the same signal out of both sides.

I use a Direct Box. Mine is from Whirlwind and is phantom powered (no batteries). There are many brands out there and in fact Peavey makes a great unit for about $50.00. This will change your signal to a balanced signal to run through the snake. Mine even has a "thru" 1/4" jack so I can go on to my power amp for my live sound also.

Hope this helps.
Bill

Darvin Willhoite

Roxton, Tx. USA
Post  Posted 13 Oct 2000 8:21 am    

Steve,
Will you have your own monitor mix or will you still need an amp to hear yourself? I play direct into our Churchs' sound system but still use an amp for my monitor. We have 6 monitor mixes, and there is a little steel in all of them but we have it a little stronger in the Bass and Keyboard mix. By using the amp, I can always tweak my level a little if I need to. I use a Digitech 2112 preamp in mono, then I go into a BBE direct box which splits off a mic level signal to the stage box, and an instrument level signal to my amp. The amp I use is a Peavey LA400 with a 12" Black Widow. This system works great for me.

Mike Brown

Meridian, Mississippi USA
Post  Posted 13 Oct 2000 8:30 am    

Hello Steve,
There are two devices that we manufacture here at Peavey Electronics that can accomplish what you are trying to do. They are the 1:1 Interface(#00345870) and the ID-1G(#0037910).

The 1:1 Interface allows you to convert from an unbalanced output(Profex II 1/4" out) to an XLR balanced out to the input of the 1:1. Then, you would connect from the XLR out on the 1:1 to the input of your mixer. This is a line level interface, meaning that with the signal level control on the back of the Profex II at maximum and sufficient level at the input, the unit can produce approximately 2-3 volts. Line level is 1 volt or more. Usually, most mixers have a line level input and an low level XLR mic input.

The ID-1G allows you to connect the unbalanced output of the Profex II to the input on the ID-1G. Then, using an XLR mic cable, connect to the input of your mixer.

These devices are available through your local authorized Peavey dealer. You may visit the Peavey website at "www.peavey.com". These products can be located under our accessory products.

If you have other questions, I can be reached toll free in the U.S. at 1-877-732-8391.

Steve Stallings

Houston/Cypress, Texas
Post  Posted 16 Oct 2000 4:21 am    

Thanks for all your help folks. I have a rack mount direct box with four individual units. I'll try using two of these sends. Since our system is stereo, I'll be able to utilize a stereo signal.
I've been using two large cabinets Evans amps but would like to reduce stage clutter. I do have my own monitor mix. I"ll give it a whirl.

------------------
Steve Stallings
Bremond, Texas
Carter D10/Evans

Bob Brocius

Lake Katrine, NY USA Don't blink, you'll miss it.!
Post  Posted 21 Oct 2000 9:30 pm    

Question for Mike Brown:

Mike, I have a Profex II and the guy I bought it from just gave me the matching MIDI Foot controller for it. I searched your Web Site but I cannot find a Manual or spec sheets for this unit. Can you help?

Bob

Tim Harr

Dunlap, Illinois
Post  Posted 23 Oct 2000 11:10 am    

I think if you send a MONO signal to the house console ...you will 1. Get a fuller sound out of your send and 2. plaease the sound man.....try it.

Do not use an over abundance of effect on your sends. This only muddies up your signal. + most of the hall you are playing will not hear what you hear from your amps on stage......be careful..

Tim

Darvin Willhoite

Roxton, Tx. USA
Post  Posted 23 Oct 2000 11:36 am    

Isn't it unusual to run a system this size in stereo? The people on the sides only get the RH or LH channel. The system may be stereo but everything is probably panned to the center, which makes it virtually a mono system.

Mike Brown

Meridian, Mississippi USA
Post  Posted 23 Oct 2000 2:02 pm    

Hello Bob,
If a Peavey operating guide for a Profex II Midi Footcontroller is not available for downloading off of our website, almost all of the guides can be ordered by calling our U.S. toll free consumer number which is 1-877-732-8391. The cost for the schematic diagram and operating guide is $7.50 including postage.

Let me know if I can assist further.

Mike Brown
Consumer Information Services

Steve Stallings

Houston/Cypress, Texas
Post  Posted 23 Oct 2000 2:40 pm    

Darvin,
The system uses an array of 16 JBL cabs. 8 of them are double 18 and 8 of them are double 12 with a high freq horn. I honestly don't know how stuff is panned but have heard the system from several different vantage points and it sounds fairly uniform.
Heck, I'm just the pesky steel player!
Tim, the sound engineer and I tried it out yesterday with just one send to the monitor and it sounded great. I will try it this week in the mains. The FOH guy is going to try running my signal flat at the board with no added eq. We'll see.

------------------
Steve Stallings
Bremond, Texas
Carter D10/Evans

Bob Brocius

Lake Katrine, NY USA Don't blink, you'll miss it.!
Post  Posted 26 Oct 2000 8:04 am    

To Mike Brown,

I just wanted to thank you! I called to toll free you gave me, ordered the manual I needed but when I tried to give my credit card for the $7.50 charge, the man I spoke to said it was not needed because you had told him to just send me the manual. Ok, it may not be a big deal but it definitely is another example of the good Customer Service Policies that exist with Peavey and I thank you.

A Satisfied Customer
Bob Brocius

[This message was edited by Bob Brocius on 27 October 2000 at 08:56 AM.]