The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Help building a rack
Gordon Black

burns,oregon,usa
Post  Posted 20 Oct 2000 7:37 am    

Currently I'm using stomp boxes and I'd like to convert to a rack system. I'm using a Boss TU-2 tuner, Boss RV-3 and an Ibanez TS9DX Tube Screamer. I've noticed that the "real guys" all have nice, small, portable racks that they have sitting next to the steel, within arms reach. What works for you?

John Helton

Detroit Mi.
Post  Posted 21 Oct 2000 4:39 am    

Howdy Gordon,
Go to buy and sell and check out Leonard Robertsons post. Myself and a couple of friends are running simular equipment. One of my buddys has the same set up as Leonards, and I can say that is a sweet system. The only thing different is we added a pre-amp in our racks too.
Good luck !!
John

Earnest Bovine

Los Angeles CA USA
Post  Posted 21 Oct 2000 8:00 am    

Nowadays there are units that do everything you need in one box, so maybe there is no need to get a rack.
For example I often use just the Boss GX-700 and a volume pedal. You can attach a unit such as GX-700 to the legs at the right end of your steel.

Steve Feldman

Central MA USA
Post  Posted 21 Oct 2000 10:21 am    

What works for me (but I ain't no "real" guy...):

- Tubeworks 9002 preamp (sweet/clean + 2nd channel for all the crunch you want),
- VHT 2/90/2 power amp (wonderful, unbelievable amp),
- Lexicom MPX-2 FX unit (also wonderful),
- Furman power strip,
- 2 1x15in Emminence speakers in GenzBenz cabs.

I've been piecing this together for a while, but with the guitars/pickups that I'm using, I sure feel like the only way this thing could possibly sound better is to improve my right hand technique.

It's definately not light or convenient, but by gawd, it's a great setup!

------------------
'66 Emmons D-10 (8x6), Fessenden D-10 (8x6), Franklin D-10 (8x5)
...I'm really broke now.

[This message was edited by Steve Feldman on 21 October 2000 at 11:21 AM.]

Rusty Hurse

Hendesonville, Tn
Post  Posted 21 Oct 2000 10:31 am    

Gordon If I were you I would consider the LexiconMP100 and a Korg rack mount tuner if you want something to use live or in the studio. This would be a relative inexpensive way to go and the LexiconMP100 is very user friendly. I just use Boss DD3 delay live which is a great small unit and have used just that in studio.Peavey makes some great effect also but to me are not as user friendly as the LexiconMp100 but Mike Brown with Peavey would be more than happy to help you if you decided to go that route. I hope this will give you some insight on your purchase but just go and try some of the unit out that is the best way to find what will work for you and your budget.

Rusty Hurse

Hendesonville, Tn
Post  Posted 21 Oct 2000 10:39 am    

I also notice that you use RV3 Boss which is a great small unit within itself. I personally like to use the DD3 or RV3 and T.C. Electronics Chorus pedal which is a great small set up and it very portable. I hope this will help you.

Gordon Black

burns,oregon,usa
Post  Posted 23 Oct 2000 11:39 am    

Thanks guys! Really appreciate the info.

Bill Rowlett

Russellville, AR, USA
Post  Posted 23 Oct 2000 12:49 pm    

I've seen Buddy Emmon's and Hal Rugg play with just stomp boxes before. The rack isn't a required item for a good sound. It might impress your local bass players, but none of us will sneer at you if you just bring something light. If you go to the right shows, Wayne will carry all your equipment, so you might want to get a big rack though

Bill

Dan Tyack

Olympia, WA USA
Post  Posted 23 Oct 2000 9:54 pm    

Gordon, a couple of rack units which will do what your existing stomp boxes do (plus much more) are the Boss GX-700 or its' replacement the VF-1. They both have reverbs and delays that are miles above the sound of your Boss stomp box, plus they both have very good tube screamer emulations.

------------------
www.tyacktunes.com