The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  lemay mod in profex II
Jim Ashton

Malta, Ohio USA
Post  Posted 28 Sep 2000 7:18 pm    

I would like to put the lemay in my profex II. Can someone tell me where I can get the kit? Thanks Jim A...

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 29 Sep 2000 2:03 am    

You can get the kit direct from John Lemay. There is a link to his web page in the Forum links section.

The mod really improves the Profex II. I installed one in a friend's Profex II. Pretty easy, just replacing some IC's.

Bill Crook

Goodlettsville, TN , Spending my kid's inheritance
Post  Posted 29 Sep 2000 4:40 am    

Jack.....
Quote:
The mod really improves the Profex II. I installed one in a friend's Profex II. Pretty easy, just replacing some IC's.

Unless John has made some changes in his mod of the Profex II, there is a few caps that need to be changed too.

Still, not a tough job, as he sends you a pictorical layout of the devices you need to change. I did the whole mod in about 35 mins.(includeing replaceing the battery)

Like you say ......

Really improves the sound.

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 29 Sep 2000 6:31 am    

Bill, I did one about a year ago for a friend and all he got with his kit was the IC's. How long ago did you do yours?

Bill Crook

Post  Posted 3 Oct 2000 2:52 pm    

Hello Jack.....

I did the mod on my Profex II about 2 years ago, when John made a trip down through Nashvelle, TN.. I wasn't able to get him to explain too much of it to me (I guess due to the fact he didn't wish folks to attempt the mod without using his stuff) most answers were very vage and I can understand why he wouldn't want to say too much.

The mod did consist of about 4-5 Ic's and 4 or 5 caps. (.022 - .5) I will look this info up for you if you want to know the details. Just e-mail me and let me know.

Bill

Jim Ashton

Malta, Ohio USA
Post  Posted 4 Oct 2000 4:37 am    

My kit should be here today or tomorrow. I will give you the details as soon as it arrives. Also I will make some comments on the sound difference. Jim A....

Jim Ashton

Malta, Ohio USA
Post  Posted 5 Oct 2000 11:04 am    

OK everybody, heres the scoop. Recieved the kit today and installed it. Took about 5 minutes. Came with 5 ICs, no soldering. Just plug in. Nothing to it. I had some static before which I still have, nothing I can't live with. The sound improved tremendously and the sustain is awesome. It will eleminate using the goodrich 7A sustain unit. I am very pleased. Thanks to all who gave inputs.
Jim Ashton

------------------
D10 Carter, ShoBud LDG.

rickw

nc
Post  Posted 9 Oct 2000 6:53 am    

What does the kit do? What does it cost. Maybe someone can tell me why the "chip light" blinks.Someone on line helped me before,but I lost the infro. I am refuring to the Profex 11. Thanks Rick

Bill Crook

Post  Posted 14 Oct 2000 7:55 am    

Rick....

The mod really brighten's up the sound and get the "lows" that we look for on the E9th setup.

As for the cost of it, I don't remember how much I paid for it. (Was well worth it)

As to the "chip light" thing, I wonder if you really mean the "clip light" ????

The "Clip light" comming on means that the amp part is being over-driven, (read this as distortion) Just turn down the input level to the Profex II a bit. It won't hurt if it "flashes" on ever now and then.

Danny Hullihen

Harrison, Michigan
Post  Posted 19 Oct 2000 4:57 pm    

Guys: Don't know if you knew this or not, but Peavey now has the "Mod" kits for your Peavey products, and what's more, there a heluvalot cheaper, yet every bit as good if not better. Call or email Mike Brown, and he can tell you more about this.

As always, Peavey comes through for us steelers no matter what the quest might be.

Colin Goss

St.Brelade, Island of Jersey, Channel Islands, UK
Post  Posted 20 Oct 2000 12:28 am    

I took the plunge and fitted the five chips which arrived yesterday from John LeMay. Very pleased I did. The sound is so much cleaner.

Mike Brown

Meridian, Mississippi USA
Post  Posted 20 Oct 2000 5:53 am    

We are offering mod kits for the Nashville 400, Vegas 400 and the Session 400 Limited at very reasonable prices. The Session 500 and Profex II kits will be avaiable soon. Call me or our parts department for pricing. You'll be surprised at the prices that the kits "really" cost. We have also posted the part values and schematic on our website that can be downloaded for free. The website address is "www.peavey.com". Select the "search" function to search the website. Then enter "steel guitarist" and this will bring you to a page that lists several articles that have been written about our products for steel guitars. Select "steel guitarist" and the mod kits are listed below the photos and can be downloaded for your perusal.

For more info on these kits, you may call me tolls free at 1-877-732-8391 in the U.S. and (61)483-5365 outside the U.S..

The "clip light" on the front panel indicates when the signal strength is either too low or too strong. As long as this indicator is blinking or staying on "green", the input is not being clipped. If it is "red", I highly recommend that you decrease the input control and maintain the green light indication.

Mike Brown
Peavey Electronics Corporation

Danny Hullihen

Harrison, Michigan
Post  Posted 21 Oct 2000 4:45 am    

Here's the Mod kits currently available from Peavey. Or you can get them from your local Peavey dealer.

Nashville 400-#90500048-retail-$29.98
Vegas 400-#90500047-retail-$39.98
Session 400 Limited-#90500049-retail-$32.98