The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Session 400 and 12" 4 ohm Eclipse
Harold Parris

Piedmont, Alabama USA
Post  Posted 27 Sep 2000 6:32 pm    

I don't know if any of you fellows have ever tried this or not but I would like to share with you. My friend, who is a great E9th steel picker, in his search for that sound we are looking for, put two 12" Eclipse 4 ohm speakers in his Session 400(2 ohm load)ies what a great sound. I heard lots of good amps but I believe this beats anything I've heard. It has the fullest sound and the balance is great across the scale. The highs are not shrill at all and the bass and mids have great body. If any of you have a couple of 12" 4 ohms laying around and a Session 400 give it a try. Try presence on 5, bass, mid and shift wide open, sensitivity on 7 1/2
Treble on about 5, and reverb around 6 1/2. Let me know if you try it.

------------------
Harold Parris

Lee Baucum

McAllen, Texas (Extreme South) The Final Frontier
Post  Posted 27 Sep 2000 7:18 pm    

Back in the 1970's Peavey actually produced some Session 400's with 2 12's. I had one with 2 12" Electrovoice speakers. It sounded real good. It was very heavy, though. Of course, it wasn't near as heavy as the Session 500 I bought, when they came out.

Lee, from South Texas

Danny Hullihen

Harrison, Michigan
Post  Posted 28 Sep 2000 4:45 am    

Curious to see how long that amp will last running it down to 2 ohms. That's a heluva heavy load on that amps circuitry.

Mike Brown

Meridian, Mississippi USA
Post  Posted 28 Sep 2000 5:27 am    

Danny is right. The Session 400 was rated for the full 200 watts into a 4 ohm load, not a 2 ohm load. By loading the amp at 2 ohms, it will run hotter and the output power will be cut tp a little more than half the power.

The amp "does" have current limiting and will shut down if it gets too hot(to protect itself), but I don't recommend this. It would be better if you wired the 4 ohm speakers in series for an 8 ohm load. But, even with an 8 ohm speaker load, the amp will still produce about half power. The correct way to do this is by using two 8 ohm speakers in parallel for a 4 ohm speaker load.

Harold Parris

Piedmont, Alabama USA
Post  Posted 28 Sep 2000 12:12 pm    

Thanks Danny and Mike. I will pass this info on to my buddy. She really sounds great though. I have one 12" 8 ohm SRO electroVoice, if I can find another good 8 ohm I will set mine up for a 4 Ohm load.

Dan Tyack

Olympia, WA USA
Post  Posted 29 Sep 2000 1:30 am    

My friend Mark Cohen had a Session 400 in which he placed a couple of EV SROs, one with an aluminum dust jacket. Man that sounded good, especially in combination with my Session 400 with a JBL.