The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Peavey Question
Dan Dickey

Nevada, MO. USA
Post  Posted 18 Sep 2000 10:04 am    

I have a chance to buy a Peavey KB 100 which is a keyboard amp. I have heard this amp is good for steel because of the good high and low ranges of the amp. A person who runs the local guitar shop says the steel player in his band plays through a KB 100 and it sounds great. I am going to take this amp home and play through it to see how it sounds but I just wondered if anyone knew anything about this amp and whether it would be a good steel amp before I fork over any money. Anyone have any input they would like to share? Thanks.

Dan

Mike Brown

Meridian, Mississippi USA
Post  Posted 19 Sep 2000 6:48 am    

Hello Dan,
I haven't tried the KB 100 for steel guitar so I can't personally comment on this one. I try to give players as much advice and recommendations on "alternative" Peavey products to try with the steel guitar, but I just haven't gotten around to trying the KB series for that application. I'll have to try it though. Maybe some of the other Forumites have tried this?

With our newer steel products like the Session 2000 and Nashville 1000, these pretty much keep me busy using them in a 'live' situation. With a Peavey customers' permission, I also take a repaired steel amp from our service department on a weekend gig to ensure that it will work properly before it is returned to the customer. It's all part of the job, but it keeps me fresh with ideas.

Henning Kock

Denmark
Post  Posted 19 Sep 2000 12:09 pm    

18.Sept.2000
Hi Mike,
What other Peavey amp available in Europe can I recommend to customers now, since the Session 4OO Limited is ceased, and the Nashville 100 wont be made for Europe?
All the best
Henning From Denmark www.geocities.com/nashville/1520
henningkmusic@hotmail.com

------------------

Mike Brown

Meridian, Mississippi USA
Post  Posted 20 Sep 2000 9:48 am    

That's a very good question. I know that you have inquired about this previously and I didn't have the answer that you wanted to hear. Nothing has changed at this time concerning the shipment of the Nashville 1000 and Session 2000 for export use.

There are several Peavey amps listed on the "What's Your Favorite Small Amp?" posting on the Electronics forum. I have tried the older Bandit 65 for steel guitar a few years ago. It "worked" fine for the gig, but the tone was not was I was used to.

However, I have tried the all tube Peavey Ranger 212 and it "did" sound good for steel guitar. You can check out this amp on our website at "www.peavey.com". It is a 120 watts/two 12" speaker model. The amp has tremolo and reverb and competes with the Fender Twin Reverb.

Actually, Bobby Bowman is the person who told me about the Ranger 212 sounding good with steel guitar. I happened to loan the Ranger to him to use at Scotty's a couple of years ago. So, I decided to take the amp on a gig for steel use, and it did sound good.

Another alternative is the brand new Peavey Transformer series of modeling amps. The Transformer 112 was taken to this year's convention in St. Louis for electric six string guitarists to check out. Billy Phelps with Carter Steel Guitars is always kind enough to assist us as the "guest" steel guitarist demo guru when we hold our question and answer sessions at the various shows. It just so happens that we plugged him into a Peavey Transformer 112 amp which is rated at 50 watts. Everyone in attendance seemed to agree that it sounded really good when set on the clean modes. So, this might be an alternative for you. Also, you can punch in and out effects. Check it out on our website.

I intend to try out our new Transtube Bandit II with steel soon. Unfortunately, the gigs that I get paid for don't come often enough to try out every amp that we make. HA! Much of the time, players on this forum give great input as to what alternative Peavey amps have worked well for steel guitar applications. Please keep it up as it helps everyone.