The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Author Topic:  Hilton vs. Goodrich
Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 26 Aug 2000 1:14 pm    

Well, this is very important because Keith is obviously trying to discourage anyone who would consider buying the new Goodrich pedal in St. Louis (or anywhere else). I think we all support his right to defend any patents he holds that have been ISSUED. So everyone has a right (and some people have a NEED) to know, does Keith already have a patent ISSUED for the technology in his new pedal, or is the patent APPLIED FOR, and NOT YET ISSUED? This is a very critical difference. Keith?

Alan James

San Francisco, CA, USA
Post  Posted 26 Aug 2000 1:35 pm    

Here is a basic explanation of an inventor's rights at various stages of an invention's life:
http://www.nolo.com/encyclopedia/articles/pct/pct8.html

"The Life of an Invention"

Alan

db

Bethlehem, PA 18015 USA
Post  Posted 26 Aug 2000 2:28 pm    

See bOb's thread in the Electronics topics section titled "Fun Patents"!
The Hamamatsu Company was the supplier for all of the photoelectrical devices used by the Musitronic Corp. for its Mutron III, phasors and Volume/Wha & Expression pedals.
In the mid-seventies this company introduced a Volume/Wha Pedal and an Expression pedal to be used with their Bi-Phase stereo Phasor ( using Hamamatsu photosensitive resistors ).
I used to work at Musitronics and was responsible for the final calibration of these units. I still have a couple of them.

I recently saw that Mr. Hilton was very upset by the release of the Goodrich optical pedal and planned on launching a lawsuit.

I believe that the Musitronics product precedes both of these products.

bob drawbaugh

scottsboro, al. usa
Post  Posted 26 Aug 2000 3:24 pm    

Alan thanks for the information. I have just placed an order for 100 Goodrich pedals. I'm going to remove their name and put mine on it and then double the price. What'a think?

No cards or letters please. I was just kidding.

Keith Hilton

248 Laurel Road Ozark, Missouri 65721
Post  Posted 26 Aug 2000 6:14 pm    

I think enough has been said about this topic. I think the topic should be closed. I think everyone should cool off and do a lot of thinking about everything that has been said. I can assure you I do have a patent.

------------------

Bill Crook

Goodlettsville, TN , Spending my kid's inheritance
Post  Posted 26 Aug 2000 9:53 pm    

While not willing to get into the Patent infrengment(sp?) thing here, I really need to know how the purchaser of the Goodrich pedal might be sued in this matter?

1) he has no knowledge of any patent problems involveing the pedal.

2) he dosen't really care who built the thing as long as it works to his satisfaction.

3) If I was seen with a Goodrich pedal, How would anyone know if I bought it, stole it, or how I obtained it. Trying to sue someone just because they have a product that somewhat functions the same as another, isn't going to cut it. If that was so, then GM could sue me because I own a Ford. Why, do you ask? Because both have the ignition key system located on the steering post !!

Fellows, fight your wars here on the patent thing if you wish, but your gonna have to leave out the folks that might buy a Goodrich pedal for what ever reason. The courts will laught you right out of the courtroom. Only the Lawyers will get any monies out of such a suite.

And a personal note here:

Keith....
While I think you have a reason to be concerned here, The first time you attempt to sue a person who has purchased Goodrich pedal, That will be the day you can close your doors to your business because no one will ever again purchase a product from a company if they even THINK they might even remotely get involved in a lawsuite. What WILL hapen here,Sir is that people who even thought of a purchase from your firm will shy away from it because all they (believe me here) will remember is that your company attempted to take a consummer to court, Makes no difference what for but just the fact that it happened !

I know you have a fantastic product in your pedals and gear because I have had the opertunity to look inside of a few of them.
While (in my opinion, a bit over kill in certain parts of some of them) I admire your design and such, I would purchase one if I could afford it.

Bottom line here is:

Leave the purchaser out of the firckus !!

[This message was edited by Bill Crook on 26 August 2000 at 11:16 PM.]

Keith Hilton

248 Laurel Road Ozark, Missouri 65721
Post  Posted 26 Aug 2000 10:14 pm    

Bill, you brought up a good point. My lawyers tell me that the court never goes after individual buyers, although they can according to patent law. The people in jepordy are the manufacturer and the sellers. I can assure you I would "never" bother a individual who bought one of these pedals. Neither would I bother a mom and pop music store that sold one. The people that need to talk to me about my patent are the manufacturer and the large retail operations. How could I take a fellow steel player to court, just because he bought a pedal. You got me wrong, I'm nice guy, I'm on your side. If you want a Goodrich pedal, I advise that you buy one, and nothing will happen to the individual buyer. I guarantee it!

------------------

Bill Crook

Goodlettsville, TN , Spending my kid's inheritance
Post  Posted 26 Aug 2000 10:19 pm    

Keith....

Thank you......