The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Speaker enclosures
Dave Smith

Whipple/Marietta, OH USA
Post  Posted 21 Aug 2000 9:51 am    

Which is better - open or closed back? What is the difference in tone? We're talking about 15" Black Widows.

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 21 Aug 2000 5:03 pm    

Well Dave, these are general observations, and apply to any speaker. Open back cabinets have good midrange, and a very lively top end. Overall sound has good presence and spatial separation. Low ends are reduced, due to the relative "inefficiency" of an open back design.

Sealed, or vented (ported), cabinets offer increased bass response, due primarily to increased efficiency. But this increased "focus" tends to make the enclosure more directional, and somewhat lacking in "liveliness", or spatial characteristics.

In short, if you like a lot of bass, (Chalker-type tones) you're best off with a sealed, or ported cabinet...especially if your amp is low powered (under 60 watts).

If you like a brighter sound (like Weldon Myrick), go for an open-back design. But remember that you'll need a LOT of power for decent bass response (at least 100 watts).

You need a lot of watts for "high impact" bass. Conversely, midranges and highs require very little power.

Eddie Lange

Nashville, TN
Post  Posted 21 Aug 2000 7:13 pm    

For steel or guitar, go open back for sure. It really helps out the band too for hearing you onstage.

------------------
The Young Steelkid

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 22 Aug 2000 2:23 am    

I have a pair of speaker enclosures I built that are about the same as the Peavey Nashville 112E enclosures. They also have the Peavey 1203 BW speakers in them. The big difference is I have the speakers front mounted and Peavey rear mounts the speakers.

They are partial open back - there is a 6" space between the top back baffle and the bottom back baffle. When I built them I allowed space on the speaker mounting board for porting and made provisions on the back panel mounting for a full back panel if I decided to port them.

I found porting was not necessary. I have great freq response from the lows to mids to highs. I had originally set up the EQ in my Transtube Fex and MosValve 500 combination for two JBL D-120F's that were mounted in ported enclosures. When I got the new speakers built and tested them I found I had to back off of the lows as I had too much bass.

I must have hit the right combination because I get comments about how good the sound is from everyone.

Dave Smith

Whipple/Marietta, OH USA
Post  Posted 22 Aug 2000 3:49 am    

Thanks guys - you've answered my question in spades. I love this forum!!!!!!!

Bill Terry

Bastrop, TX
Post  Posted 22 Aug 2000 5:44 am    

Jack,
What happened to the D-120Fs? Do they need a home?

------------------
bterry.home.netcom.com

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 22 Aug 2000 2:12 pm    

Bill, no. I have them in my stereo system. They originally came in a Fender Twin Reverb I had but I pulled them out and put in a K130. Used the D120F's for stereo speakers - make great stereo speakers.

Bill Terry

Bastrop, TX
Post  Posted 22 Aug 2000 2:28 pm    

Ok Jack, too bad, I was prepared to pay tens of dollars

------------------
bterry.home.netcom.com

Bob Hoffnar

Austin, Tx
Post  Posted 22 Aug 2000 3:15 pm    

I have heard and used some closed back cabs that sounded fantastic.

Duane Marrs makes a great closed back cab. Light and sounds real good. Lots of pros are switching to them.

Bob

------------------
Franklin D-10

John Farrell

Lincolnton, NC USA
Post  Posted 23 Aug 2000 9:28 am    

Bob -

I agree...I had Duane build two closed back cabs for 12s, and loaded BWs into them. Excellent, even tone across full-range.

John Farrell

Jim Ashton

Malta, Ohio USA
Post  Posted 23 Aug 2000 6:48 pm    

Hey Dave, You are not thinking of messing with that new 2000, are you? I will have all my new stuff tomorrow. Already have the case and power amp and processor. Speakers arrive tomorrow. Talk to you later. Jim A...

Jim Smith

Midlothian, TX, USA
Post  Posted 23 Aug 2000 6:59 pm    

Did I hear that Duane's cabinets were copies of GD Walker's cabinets?

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 24 Aug 2000 2:05 am    

Jim, I don't think they are the same. I've seen the GD Walker enclosures at St Louis and I've seen the Marrs cabinets that Hal Rugg has and they don't look the same.

Dave Smith

Whipple/Marietta, OH USA
Post  Posted 24 Aug 2000 6:48 am    

Hey Jim - Dana told me you were able to work a trade for the new rack equipment. Let me know what you think after you get it and drive it around the block a few times.

No, I wouldn't touch a thing on that 2000. Peavey has outdone themselves on this one. As you know I have the two 15" BWs that I got from GD Walker and I'm considering changing the enclosure. These are closed back - They sound OK but they are pretty vanilla cosmetically. My 112Es are open back as you know and are very "bright". May be the difference between 12" and 15" since both are BW. Have been talking with Gary Phillips about building the enclosures and that issue has to be decided. See ya later.