The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Volume Pedal / Effects Loop
Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 18 Aug 2000 7:33 am    

I suspect I know the answer but---

On my Carvin tube preamp there is an input vu meter that graphically displays the input level swings when using the volume pedal (passive). So I went with a three chord patch ala the Peavey system, using the master effects loop in the back of the unit. But now the pedal sweep is totally messed up. It just doesn't work right.

Am I to assume that this patch point is line level and therefore all wrong for the impedance of my standard 500K pedal?
Would an active pedal work with this patch?

Keith Hilton

248 Laurel Road Ozark, Missouri 65721
Post  Posted 18 Aug 2000 7:41 am    

Jon, when you use the Peavey 3 cord hookup method, you are using the pre-amp inside the Peavey amp. The pre-amp boost's signal. The input of some equipment is designed for a instrument level signal, which is a weaker signal. A pre-amped signal can be too strong for these type of inputs. If you use a pedal with a pre-amp you have the same problem. Does the unit have a line level input? If it does not, you may not be able to use anything that boosts signal strength.
You might ask Mike Brown at Peavey about this, as I am not familar with the Carvin units. Hope this helps.

------------------

[This message was edited by Keith Hilton on 18 August 2000 at 08:42 AM.]

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 18 Aug 2000 8:12 am    

You don't want to use an active volume pedal, such as a Goodrich L10K as the low level signal from the Peavey effects loop will tend to overload it and also thin out the sound. Putting a line level into it will really screw up the sound. The passive (500K pot) model volume pedal usually will work, to control the signal level at either a signal or line level. However, I'm not up on Carvin either. It won't do you any good asking Peavey about the Carvin product - you'll have to go to Carvin to get an answer.

Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 18 Aug 2000 8:28 am    

To both of you, thanks.
To me, well it looks like dope-slap time. I should have tinkered more. Seems that the patch works ok. The pedal is acting up. Intermittent problems. This is a pedal I bought from Zane Beck in '83. Has what I assume is the "Myrick Mod"--extra pot for sweep adjustment.

Gee, seems somewhere I've read about some new kind of pedal. Hmmm....

Lee Baucum

McAllen, Texas (Extreme South) The Final Frontier
Post  Posted 18 Aug 2000 11:01 am    

Jon - I heard that those new-fangled pedals will also scan the bar-code price tags on your canned goods.

Lee, from South Texas