The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Best way to hook up RV-3 and Tube Mp
Larry Hendrickson

New Glarus, WI
Post  Posted 28 Jul 2000 2:22 pm    

I am using a Boss RV-3 and an ART Tube Mp pre-amp with a Nashville 400. I use the 3 cable hookup from volume pedal and guitar to amp. I have the the guitar out cable running to the input of the Tube Mp and the output of the Tube Mp running to the top amp- jn jack. The Rv-3 is hooked into the in and out on the back of the amp. It seems to work fine this way with hardly any hum, but might there be a better way to hook it up? Larry

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 28 Jul 2000 2:50 pm    

The only concern I would have is the PREAMP OUT, POWER AMP IN on the back of the Nashville 400. It is designed for more or less "line level" where the RV3 is an instrument level (lower level) device. It probably has cut down on your power out of the Nashville 400.

Larry Hendrickson

New Glarus, WI
Post  Posted 28 Jul 2000 2:57 pm    

Jack, so maybe I should put the RV-3 in line with the Tube Mp? Would it make a difference whether it is ahead of or after the Tube Mp. Larry

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 29 Jul 2000 1:58 am    

Larry, I'm not familiar with the ART unit. Try it both ways and see which one you like the best. However, just as a guess, I think I'd put it after the preamp.

Larry Hendrickson

New Glarus, WI
Post  Posted 29 Jul 2000 11:28 am    

The ART Tube Mp has one 12AX7 tube in it and it really works nice on a Nashville 400. I've got it hooked up ahead of the RV-3 on the cable from the guitar jack to the top input on the amp. This seems to sound good with no excessive hum. The Tube Mp warms up the sound like I expected it too. Before, I was always running the RV-3 through the patches on the back of the amp and I never noticed any power loss. I'll try it this way for a while until I get another brainstorm. Right now though I am really happy with the tone from my LDG and Emmons P/P. You should be able to find the info on the Tube Mp at this site:http://www.artroch.com/127/127desc.htm Thanks, Larry