The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Evans amp ?
Bill Tauson

Chino Valley, Az.
Post  Posted 22 Jul 2000 10:00 am    

Has anyone ever changed out their spearker from the stock one to a JBL? If so, was there much difference?

No complaints here. I love my Evans, just curious.

Thanks

Jim Smith

Midlothian, TX, USA
Post  Posted 22 Jul 2000 10:08 am    

I had a large cabinet FET 500 back in the 80's with a JBL. I visited with Derrell once while he was tweaking my amp and he told my about his new speakers. He needed a JBL, I was short on cash, and he offered me a substantial amount to swap speakers. He did the labor and let me try and compare his speaker before we finalized the deal.

Bottom line? His speakers sounded every bit as good as the JBL and I was never able to get them to distort, even when doing a subharmonic synthesizer sound on the ride of "Don't Worry 'Bout Me" Plus his speaker is lighter than the JBL.

Bill Tauson

Chino Valley, Az.
Post  Posted 23 Jul 2000 11:35 am    

Jim,

Thanks for the info. I've been very happy with the stock speaker. I listened to a friends "Webb" and noticed that he had a "JBL" and was just wondering.

Take care

Fred Murphy

Indianapolis, In. USA
Post  Posted 23 Jul 2000 7:19 pm    

I have two FET 500 amps. The older one I bought used, and it had a BW in it. I'm not sure of the age, but I've had it for about 7 years now. I thought it sounded better than my newer Evans, so I just replaced the speaker with a new BW like comes in the Peavey 1000. I still don't think the new amp sounds as good as the old one. I don't know if it is the difference in the old, and new peavey speakers or if it is just a difference in the amps themselves. I would like to try a JBL sometime, but I don't have one at the present. The think the new amp with the new peavey BW sounds better at loud volumes, but it doesn't sound quite as good to me at the volume I use at home as it did with the stock speaker.

Mike Brown

Meridian, Mississippi USA
Post  Posted 24 Jul 2000 10:12 am    

We have improved our Black Widow speakers throughout the years by increasing power handling, increasing their output capability, improving the cooling and revoicing them. The 1501-4ohm shallow basket BW is doing well for us.

Back in the '70's we used a JBL speaker in the first Session 400 amplifier. The 1501-4ohm "SB" originated when endorsers asked that we listen to our own design and consider revoicing the speaker, which is exactly what we did. Apparently, we made the right decision as the 1501-4 ohm SB is the preferred speaker of many steelers, as well as fiddlers.

Karl Nutt

Fayette City, PA U.S.A.
Post  Posted 25 Jul 2000 4:55 pm    

I have an Evans FET 500 loaded with the Peavey/JBL that Mike is talking about (out of my long since gone Session 400). I've always been real happy with the sound. (Hey Mike, I've had a chance to try out my new Nashville 1000 and my initial impression is real good!!!)

Earnest Bovine

Los Angeles CA USA
Post  Posted 25 Jul 2000 9:52 pm    

My old Session 400 came with two 12" Electro-Voice SRO speakers. It sounded very good, was really really loud, and didn't weigh an ounce over 200 pounds.