The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Stomp box suggestions?
Chris Brooks

Providence, Rhode Island
Post  Posted 5 Jun 2000 3:52 am    

Any brand recommendations for individual effects units--not rack mounts--for devices like:

chorus
phase shifter
flanger
harmonizer

My impression is that Boss is good stuff for steel. What do you guys think?

Thanks, Chris

------------------
from the oasis ....

Keith Hilton

248 Laurel Road Ozark, Missouri 65721
Post  Posted 5 Jun 2000 10:47 am    

Chris, I think Boss stomp boxes are good products, although they are designed for 6 sring guitar and not steel gutiar. By the time you buy all the different boxes you mentioned, you could buy a really good rack mount multi-effects unit. The one you would probably use most is one you did not mention, a delay unit.
Since these units are designed for guitars like the Les Paul 6 string guitar, they may work better put before your pedal. You should try them before your pedal, and after your pedal, and you can tell which way performs best.
I hear the laws are pretty tough where you are at. I understand they kill drug dealers, so they don't have a drug problem. I also understand drinking a beer in the wrong place could mean jail time.

------------------

SteveTodd

Manchester, CT, USA
Post  Posted 5 Jun 2000 11:14 am    

Chris -

For pedal steel I use a BOSS DD-3 digital delay through a Nashville 400. It's the only effect I use other that the reverb in the amp. I like the DD-3 a lot. You need the 9v adapter because it EATS batteries.

Steve

Robert Parent

Gillette, WY
Post  Posted 5 Jun 2000 11:38 am    

I like Boss for the chorus pedals and MXR (phase 90) for a phase shifter. I can't recommend the others you asked about.

Rack units are nice as well if you have time to mess with the settings and also have some sort of controller. Without a controller I find that it's generally a pain to change settings in a dark club.

John Macy

Rockport TX/Denver CO
Post  Posted 5 Jun 2000 11:59 am    

The new Line 6 Delay Pedal and Modulator pedals are pretty awesome.

Keith Hilton

248 Laurel Road Ozark, Missouri 65721
Post  Posted 5 Jun 2000 2:46 pm    

Chris, a question? I was wondering something; In the Middle East,where you are at, do governments "monitor" the inter-net? Can you do all the things on the inter-net we can do in the U.S.A.? With the different religions, I wondered if the Governments monitored all the "sex" stuff on the inter-net and other conflicts with religions?

------------------

Bob Hoffnar

Austin, Tx
Post  Posted 5 Jun 2000 9:09 pm    

Lots of info:
http://www.harmony-central.com/

I like Electro Harmonics stuff these days. The old EH stomp boxes have a random factor that works for me. Real noisey and somewhat unpredictable.

I have a multi unit(the boss SE-70) It doesn't sound that great though. The only modulation stomp box I use alot is the Hughes and Kettner Tube rotosphere. Its amazing.

Bob

------------------
Franklin D-10

Chris Brooks

Providence, Rhode Island
Post  Posted 6 Jun 2000 1:18 am    

Thanks for your replies, guys.

Keith, I prefer individual boxes to a rackmount multi-effects unit because I like to pre-set a setting on a device, then just hit the button and it's on, hit it again and it's off. My impression of rack mount stuff is that there is some "fumble-time" involved.

Steve, I have never cared for digital delay--seems like I am playing a mile away with it .... I like reverb. I do have a DOD digital delay but as I said, it "distances" the sound. Make sense?

Robert, I'll check out the Boss chorus. Thanks. And speaking of MXR, I did use the old EH Small Stone, but as I recall it distorted a lot. How is the MXR on "cleanness" ?

John, is the Line 6 Modulator a harmonizer? A chorus?

Bob, yes, the EH stuff is noisy ... I kinda liked the Small Stone. Would a Boss phaser give a decent sound with better fidelity? And Bob, you mentioned the Hughes and Kettner Tube Rotosphere; does that give a rotating Hammond-like sound ? If so, I've gotta have it. That's what I used the old EH Chorus to do. Great for organ-type chording on the S 12 ..

Keith, somewhat off topic, but yes, here at the university we get The Red Screen of Death when we try to access some sites ... for example, anything with "adult" in it! Made it difficult when one of my students needed info on a report on swimming safety and we needed to go to Adult Education sites!

Gulf countries differ. KSA (Saudi) executes people. UAE does not though they will throw a person in the clink for decades for certain offenses. A lot depends (unjustly) on nationality. Deportation if they just want to get rid of you ... say for some perceived fraternization with a female student.

In UAE alcohol is permitted in hotel pubs and in homes. Drunk driving is a big no-no.

Still, in the Gulf countries there is *a lot* that goes on behind closed doors ... Stay tuned: film at 11 !

Chris

Lefty

Grayson, Ga.
Post  Posted 7 Jun 2000 2:49 pm    

I also use stomp boxes. The two I use are a T.C. electronics stereo chorus and a boss DD-5 digital delay. The T.C. has the best stereo chorus I have heard, using it after the pedal with two lines out into 2 amps. I like a 1-15 session 500 along with a 2-12 musicman 130, or 100W mesa-boogie 1-12 mark I (or 12" speaker amp. Gives a nice sound. The boss also offers a stereo-out with panning effect which is nice for some things.

Lefty

Grayson, Ga.
Post  Posted 7 Jun 2000 3:49 pm    

As for the laws of region, I had a friend who worked for the department of defense for a number of years on contract in Saudi. On his first day of visit he experienced the crowd in the square on the day of the punishment for criminals. Two men were having heir hands removed for stealing. The other lesson he learned that day was the absense of toliet paper in the local bathrooms (hole-in-the-floor, so he said). Both were important lessons learned. (The later, a lesson I learned at a VFW gig one night).

Kevin Mincke

Farmington, MN (Twin Cities-South Metro) USA
Post  Posted 7 Jun 2000 6:18 pm    

I'd have to go with BOSS on this!
I have had real good luck w/ the BOSS stomp boxes....currently own 6 or 7 & have them setup in the BCB-6 grey carrying case. They have served me well over the past 17-18 years. They offer such a wide variety & pretty much cover the gamet for an inexpensive add-on. Some are better than others for steel however as w/ any other application. Well built!

Bob Craven

Columbia City, IN, USA
Post  Posted 9 Jun 2000 8:14 am    

I've been using a GP-100 for years now and am very happy with it. But way back when I remember using MXR stuff and really liking it. Phase 90, Distortion +, Dyna-Comp, etc. Do the reproductions of these stack up to other stomp boxes? Just curious.
Bob

Glenn Suchan

Austin, Texas
Post  Posted 9 Jun 2000 12:07 pm    

Chris,

The only non-rack effects I use are:
1. MXR Envelope Filter (an old one), because I have yet to find a rack unit (digital) that has the ability to really create a variable frequency filter with the bandwidth and sensitivity control that this one has. In fact, I sold it once after buying a rack unit that claimed to have an evelope filter. A day later I ran back to the store I sold it to and bought it back, for keeps.

2. Jordan Electronics BossTone (another oldie). It still has the distortion effect I like best.

Both of these get used for maybe one or two songs combined in a whole gig and with the MXR effect, only for portions of a song. They are both extremely reliable and easy on batteries.

Keep on pickin'!
Glenn

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 11 Jun 2000 8:12 pm    

I have both the MXR Phase 90, and Phase 100 models. I would recommend the 100. It gives the great slow chorus sound of the 90, plus a fast chorus sound...similar to the Hammond Jazz organ sound. They've been around a long time, and work well (quite a while) on batteries too. Used ones appear on the market fo $50-$60. Check local music stores.

Chris Brooks

Providence, Rhode Island
Post  Posted 12 Jun 2000 11:11 pm    

Thanks, fellas. Donny, I really like simulating a Hammond sound on steel (both for lead and comping) so your Phase 100 advice is well taken!

Lefty, I remember TC Electronics stuff and it seemed to be very well made.

Good ideas!

Chris

------------------
from the oasis ....