The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Webb Amp Owners
Kevin Mincke

Farmington, MN (Twin Cities-South Metro) USA
Post  Posted 20 Apr 2000 4:08 pm    

Does anyone know what reverb tank (brand/model)is standard in the Webb amp 6-14E. I have a 1978 amp that indicates the reverb is a 1967 (number on top of tank '6718'. This is 17" long by approximately 4" wide with 2 long springs joined in the middle, four total.

Jay Ganz

Out Behind The Barn
Post  Posted 20 Apr 2000 6:25 pm    

Most amps these days use reverbs made by
"Accutronics". They're a pretty standard
item, actually. I've tried a few different ones and they all work OK. What's the problem with your's? Do you see something physically broken on it?

Kevin Mincke

Post  Posted 20 Apr 2000 7:18 pm    

Hi Jay! I pulled the tank & could find nothing wrong with the unit either in the form of a broken spring(s) both reverb and mounting or the green/black in/output wires.
It's symptom is that it is extremely noisy to the point of sounding like a thunderstorm at the slightest of movement.I only run the reverb at about 3 1/2 or 4.

Bob Craven

Columbia City, IN, USA
Post  Posted 20 Apr 2000 8:57 pm    

Kevin, I have a 1978 or 79 Webb and had the same thing. I swapped out the tanks with Webb a couple of times and finally found one that didn't bang as bad. Of course I use digital stuff now. And is was a Accurtronic tank that was originally in it.

Bobby Lee

Cloverdale, California, USA
Post  Posted 21 Apr 2000 8:25 am    

All Accutronic tanks are not created equal! I've found that while they look alike, the impedence of the tranducers varies quite a bit from one amp manufacturer to another. For example, I have a Mesa/Boogie tank and a Webb tank that look identical, but they are not interchangable.

If you got your amp used, there's a chance that someone swapped a different reverb tank into it. I have found the tank to be the most unreliable part of the Webb amp. Maybe it's because I transport the amp lying on its back or something, but I've had two tanks fail on me and played with only one spring for a while because of a busted transducer.

------------------
Sierra Session S-12 (E9), Speedy West D-10 (E9, D6),
Sierra S-8 Laptop (D13), Fender Stringmaster D-8 (D13, A6)

Kevin Mincke

Post  Posted 21 Apr 2000 1:00 pm    

Thanks for all the responses!
I spoke with Jim Webb this A.M. & he advised the correct number for the accutronics tank should be #4FB3A1B which are all 7-digit numbers. These refer to the physical length of tank (17"),in-ouput imp., decay time(long),ground type and mounting plane etc. I have not been able to figure out my problem other than to replace it all together. I was told by another repair place that it could be the small transducers/coil on either end that have a tendency to become unstable or microphonic. There was also a 3-spring tank used in later model Webb's. I would be interested to find out that number.
Kevin

[This message was edited by Kevin Mincke on 21 April 2000 at 03:24 PM.]

Mike Fried

Nashville, TN, USA
Post  Posted 23 Apr 2000 2:09 pm    

Kevin, the seven-digit number is the code that indicates the physical and electronic attributes of the reverb tank. To convert to a long three-spring tank, the first digit would be a 9 rather than 4. You also would then probably want to change to a medium-decay rather than a long decay, as long-decay three-spring tanks are very "swimmy" (change the fourth digit from 3 to 2). The "F" and "B" refer to the input and output transducer impedances, respectively, and would not change. The remaining digits refer to other design charecteristics that also would not change. There are a number of third-party sources for Accutronics tanks, so you shouldn't have too much trouble replacing the tank if need be.
Before you go that route, however, you might try remounting the existing tank looser in the cabinet. If it is screwed directly to the inside of the cabinet, try wrapping it in a vinyl "bag" and attach the bag loosely to the cabinet using a wood screw at each end. This will help cushion the tank from mechanical shock and vibration and it shouldn't be as sensitive. If the tank is already in a bag, just try repositioning the mounting screws to "loosen things up" - the tank won't go anywhere and the results can be surpising.

Bill Crook

Goodlettsville, TN , Spending my kid's inheritance
Post  Posted 23 Apr 2000 6:28 pm    

kevin....

Most spring tanks are spring mounted to the case, using a short spring in each corner.

Note here that the actual spring unit isnt 17 inches long but a bit shorter in order to be hung suspended in the metal case. now this metal case should also be mounted to the wooden amp case using soft rubber groumlet mountings using screws. Do not tighten down these screws, as the whole reverb case needs to kinda float on the
soft rubber feet.

If the ampifier is bounced around a lot tho, like when our band set up one time on a haywagon, the drummer got to working heavy, all the amps started to bounce and raising @#$%, won't no amount of padding stop that.
(Thats why I originally went to a FX unit)

[This message was edited by Bill Crook on 23 April 2000 at 07:32 PM.]

Kevin Mincke

Post  Posted 26 Apr 2000 7:47 pm    

I tried many of the suggestions above and the reverb is "much" better but still a little too sensitive for my liking.I have since ordered a new Accutronics tank from Cal at Sound Enhancements (the guy is very helpful) 185 Detroit St. Cary,IL 60013 PH# 847 639-4646. They are the "REVERB" people specifically Accutronics.The unit is a 3-spring #9FB2A1B used in later Webbs vs. the original #4FB3A1B. I also have new mounting springs coming to "try" in the old reverb. WWW.ACCUTRONICSREVERB.COM

b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 30 Apr 2000 8:12 am    

What's the price on new reverb tanks direct from Accutronics, Kevin?

------------------
-b0b- ... Click Here for Forum Products
-System Administrator

Jay Ganz

Out Behind The Barn
Post  Posted 1 May 2000 8:40 am    

I get 'em for around $20.

Kevin Mincke

Post  Posted 1 May 2000 8:29 pm    

Got my NEW Accutronics reverb today! Sounds GREAT! I went with the 3-spring medium delay as my origional was the Hammond/Gibbs 2-spring marked "Twin Reverb" with long decay. The model is #9FB2A1B. Give "CAL" a call as he is very helpful. The unit was $25 plus shipping & very prompt!
Kevin
Yes.....I even got extra suspension springs with the orderto try & salvage my old one!

[This message was edited by Kevin Mincke on 01 May 2000 at 09:30 PM.]