The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Here'sthe scoop
Rex Blevins

Jenks, Oklahoma USA
Post  Posted 12 Apr 2000 7:03 pm    

For those of you that are interested, here is some advice. DO NOT start putting your' 8 ohlm JBL, D,K's or E's in your amps, they are matched for a certain impedence, not put a 8 ohlm in a 4 ohlm amp, etc, it simply will not give you the performance.. It makes no difference if it is a Peavey Session 400 or a Webb or whatever..

There is no substitute for a D, K or E series JBL. ALL recone kits from JBL from the late eighties on are "E" series, even if they are in a K or D series or E series...

NOW, as of yesterday, the 11th of April, 2000, JBL has seen in their' infinite wisdom after much request , to make a production run of 4 ohlm genuine recone kits. If you are interested, I would suggest you either contact 1-8JBL-PRO for your' nearest dealer, or Call Speakerworks ( David Miller ) in Tulsa, Oklahoma for a chance at one of these.. This guy has the inside track without having to go for after-market parts... There is nothing like a JBL, don't believe what the others are telling you, trust your' EAR...

Eddie Stephens

Kissimmee, Florida, USA
Post  Posted 16 Apr 2000 9:54 am    

Hi Rex.
I certainly have to agree with on JBL's. I have a pair of E-130's that I was using on the road in wedges and there ain't nothin like them for reproducing the true sound of your steel processing gear and amplification.
I now have one of them in my Nashville and it sounds incredible.
I know the one I have is an 8 ohm, but given the efficiency rating of the JBL vs. the black widow and the fact that the power amp is not having to work nearly as hard would you not agree that this is still a kosher thing to do? I know mine sounds great,true and detailed. It comes up almost flat on the house mix everytime with a 57. And I don't consider volume to be a problem as it will still take the top of your head off.
Anyway would love to hear of your experiences with the 4 ohm JBL's.
Will the difference be that dramatic.
Thanks for your time.

Kevin Mincke

Farmington, MN (Twin Cities-South Metro) USA
Post  Posted 16 Apr 2000 8:26 pm    

I have a 78' or 79' Webb that has a JBL
E130-8 in it. It origionally came with a EV-15L (I think is the model number) that I swapped out years ago because I just had to have that JBL. I still have the EV in a seperate cabinet, but too would like to hear the difference of 4ohm to 8ohm w/ my Webb! I may even try the EV again for kicks, but it to is also a 8ohm.

Jay Jessup

Charlottesville, VA, USA
Post  Posted 17 Apr 2000 10:28 am    

Rex,
Thanks for the info about the 4 ohm recone kits now being available as I have a 4 ohm E that needs some help. I have heard here that only a JBL authorized repair shop should do the work. Is this type of work straightforward enough that any JBL shop could do a good job or is it the kind of thing that the more you do the better you are.
If it's the latter, can anyone reccomend any good JBL repair shop in the east. I have heard about a guy in Nashville that is good but I have also heard he takes a long time.