The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Fender Twin
D Jenkins

England
Post  Posted 22 Mar 2000 2:32 pm    

I've had some interesting posts on Fender Twins- many people saying they're pretty darn good for steeling. Are we talking about the common or garden Fender Twin, or are there variants some of which are good for steel and others which aren't?

Jerry Gleason

Eugene, Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 22 Mar 2000 5:20 pm    

You should be able to get a decent sound from just about any Fender twin that's in good shape. There have been several variants over the years, but of the ones I have experience with, there were only a couple that I didn't really like. One was the Fender Super Twin, which had a monster power amp section with six 6L6's (!) but still didn't sound as nice as the others, for some reason. I also had a newer, red knob "The Twin" which didn't have a great tone or a very good reverb, but had some nice modern features, like channel switching, balanced line out, etc. Maybe it was just the one I had, I know others who do like that model. I might have kept it if it hadn't weighed 80 pounds. My favorite is the original blackface or early silverface (non-master volume) models, but their price has been driven up so high, that it's not a good value as a used amp for daily gig use, IMO.

I think that a Fender Twin is a nice sounding amp for steel, and it's plenty loud, but doesn't quite have enough clean headroom for the volume level that most bands seem have to play at these days. The main reason I don't own one anymore is the weight.

Joe E

Houston Texas
Post  Posted 23 Mar 2000 8:16 am    

I kinda like the sound they have turned all the way up. I think that is part of thier sound. The slight distortion/coloration really fattens up the sound.

Dan Tyack

Olympia, WA USA
Post  Posted 23 Mar 2000 9:34 am    

Twins sound great, the main problem is that they sound best when start breathing (say at 3-4) but they lose definition after that. Some people really like that, but most steel players like a little cleaner sound.

Two twins sound awesome, but talk about heavy!

------------------
www.tyacktunes.com