The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Recording with Nashville 400
Jonathan Cullifer

Gallatin, TN
Post  Posted 6 Mar 2000 7:11 pm    

I an thinking about doing some RealAudio recordings of me playing my steel for my website. I have thought that, instead of using a microphone, a better alternative would be to run my steel sound into the amp and plug the computer in via the "Pre Amp Out" jack to ensure 100% sound and no background noise, but I am a bit worried that when I start to record, the sound input could blow my sound card. I have 3 questions:

• Is this even an issue? I don't want to make it one if it really isn't.

• Does the signal coming from the "Pre Amp Out" jack on the Nashville 400 produce an amplified signal? or does it just get the tone right, and then (normally) send it through the power amp?

• When using the "Pre Amp Out", What gain setting will cause the outputted sound to retain the original volume before entering the preamp?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanx,
Jonathan

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 7 Mar 2000 4:00 am    

I have run my Nashville 400 preamp out directly to mixing boards and through a DI box (converts the unbalanced signal to a balanced) without problems. I've never run it into the sound card on a PC.

The Peavey Owners manual for the Nashville 400 states "Nominal output 0 dbV, 1V RMS" and "Maximum Output + 18dbV, 8V RMS".

The 1 Volt is probably not hot enough to harm it but the max output 8V could (depends on the specifications for the inputs on your sound card). If you have a spare foot volume control, you could put it between the preamp out and the input to he PC sound card and control the level with it.

Earnest Bovine

Los Angeles CA USA
Post  Posted 7 Mar 2000 10:08 am    

If you use a multi efx box such as GX-700 or Tubefex, etc, you should be able to go straight from that into your computer. It works here.

Mike Brown

Meridian, Mississippi USA
Post  Posted 7 Mar 2000 11:42 am    

I suggest that you use the PRE AMP OUTPUT JACK on the rear panel of your Nashville 400, but first check your manual on the sound card to see if it gives you a sensitivity rating on the sound card. Call me toll free at 1-877-732-8391 at Peavey if you have other questions.

Jonathan Cullifer

Gallatin, TN
Post  Posted 11 Mar 2000 2:38 pm    

Thank you very much for your suggestions.

Jonathan

------------------
"We get up at twelve and start to work at one, take an hour's lunch and then at two were done."

Vernon Hester

Cayce,SC USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 15 Mar 2000 2:16 am    

Jonathan, enjoyed your playing at Saluda.
The easy way is to play a cassette from a Sonywalkman, this will not overload your sound card, sends left and right into the computer,you can get a mini patch cord from Radio-Shack and the quality is good.However if you want to record ,e-mail or call me and I will draw you a simple circuit wtih audio pad to protect your system.
Vernon Hester Vern2@msn.com