The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  snaping
dana Murphy

clarksburg wv usa
Post  Posted 12 Feb 2000 6:40 am    

have a new 2112 diditech. When I turn on a light switch in the room a snap comes through the 2112. I did.nt have that before. is something i can get to help? thanks dana

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 12 Feb 2000 12:13 pm    

Is everything runing with the grounded plugs?? Sounds like a bad ground someplace. Could even be in your electrical wiring.

There are other possibilites but the ground is where I'd start first.

BTW I notice you are from Clarksburg. My wife is from Good Hope

Ron Forrest

Logan Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 17 Feb 2000 8:57 pm    

I would check to see if everything is grounded like jack said. If this doesnt help i would check to see if you have any major appliances on the same circuit. Some times a frig or other major appliance can cause a temporary voltage drop on the line to cause this problem. Another thought you might check and see if you have a the compressor or noise gate enabled on your 2112 also

Rich Paton

Santa Maria, CA.,
Post  Posted 18 Feb 2000 12:46 am    

That sort of problem is often caused by a short-duration arc from a loose connection somewhere in the circuit, could be anywhere fron the breaker or fuse to the lamp holder socket, or inside any electrical appliance or device.
The switch is a prime suspect, as currently they only cost an electrical contactor as low as 15-25 cents each in quantity. They are junk, and still must take the most stress of any given circuit component, from on/off cycling.
A "spec grade" switch can usually be had for $5.00 or so at a building center, and should last at least 30 years in residential use.
Make sure the lamps are all tight, and also try it without other appliances or devices connected, disconnecting them one at a time, and testing for the "pop".
Switching "upstream" from a dimmer-equipped lamp fixture is also a no-no.
A rolled-up extension cord with a load on it, particularly from any size motor, will create all sorts of humorous (only to the service electrician) effects imaginable.
>
Some of the things electricity can do are very unpredictable and tedious to correct, if problematic. On the flip-side, a properly installed electrical system using quality components can be trouble free as long as the building stands.
>
BTW: One of the best testers for finding the source of electrical noise is a cheap am portable radio, turned way up and between stations. Hold one near your computer monitor to demonstrate the effect. GooD LucK!
>
R.