The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Stereo Steel/Profex Help
Ed Iarusso

East Haddam, CT US of A
Post  Posted 5 Feb 2000 8:43 am    

I'm trying to hook up a Stereo Steel Combo amp and my ProFexII and having difficulty with the patching could anyone help?
Thanks, Ed

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 5 Feb 2000 12:35 pm    

I assume you have a two channel power amp and two speakers.

You would run from your guitar, to the volume pedal and then one line from the volume pedal to the input of the Profex II. Run from the RIGHT and LEFT outputs of the Profex II to the right and left channel (or however it's labeled) of the power amp. Connect one speaker to one channel of the power amp and the other speaker to the other channel.

This will give you a two channel (stereo) hookup.

Bill Crook

Goodlettsville, TN , Spending my kid's inheritance
Post  Posted 5 Feb 2000 1:00 pm    

Jack,

Thats the setup I use and with program # B46, the sound is awsome !!

I have used this unit for a couple of years now and if I had to say anything negative about it, it would be that I have had to adjust some of the programs to compansate for the loss of high freq sounds.

This unit is super for use in a very big hall or outside. With the stero seperation and delay, it really adds to make the sound of the whole band very large. When used for recording, if one has the option of useing two channels, pan one left and the other to the right, Killer of a sound !!

Jerry Gleason

Eugene, Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 5 Feb 2000 8:43 pm    

I've never worked much with a ProFex, but I have a Stereo Steel amp.

Ed, you really have two choices here. If you want the ProFex as your preamp, do it the way Jack describes, connecting the Profex outputs to the effects loop returns of the Stereo Steel, and turn the effects pots up all the way. In this way, you'll just be using the Power amp of the Stereo Steel.

If, however, you want to use the Stereo Steel preamp and eq, and use the ProFex only for effects, try it this way:

Run a line out from the effects send (there are two sends, for right and left channels, but it's the same signal, so either one will work), to the input of the ProFex. Connect the right and left ouputs of the ProFex to the SS effects loop returns.

Keep in mind that the effects pots on the Stereo Steel mix the effects signal with the unprocessed signal, and they control the returns, not the sends. Therefore, you might want a "wetter" setting on the processor, to mix with the dry signal.

Hope that helps...

Ed Iarusso

East Haddam, CT US of A
Post  Posted 6 Feb 2000 10:46 am    

Thanks to all of you who have or do respond.
I got the units working and need to spend some time with settings. If anyone cares to reccomend a starting point (I do have the basics as provided by G D Walker) please do. Thanks again, Ed