The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Photos and Computers
Tom Mortensen

Nashville TN
Post  Posted 27 Jan 2000 8:08 pm    

I hope this is an appropriate post for this catagory.

I am looking for advice on the best options for converting photographs to my computer.

I recently had a roll of film processed with the Kodak Picture CD package. The images all came out great but it seems expensive and not to versatile.
I'm not thinking of buying a digital camera yet.

I have a lot of negatives from years gone by that I would like to have converted also.

Question:
Do I buy my own scanner and scan prints?
If I do, what price will I have to pay to get great images.

Are there processing labs that will put together custom cd's at a reasonable price.

What are my options?

Craig Allen

BEREA, KENTUCKY, USA
Post  Posted 27 Jan 2000 11:38 pm    

Go to Wally-World, and get a scanner. You can pick up a good scanner for about $59.95, there.
That way you ALWAYS have the negative, and you can STILL load the pix to your confuzer.

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 28 Jan 2000 2:57 am    

I guess I have to start someplace.

This should probably be in the off-topic area.

But, One thing to consider when buying a scanner. If you have a USB port, buy a scanner that uses the USB interface.

Most of the newer bi-directional (port)parallel printers will not work with the parallel expansion port on parallel (printer) port model scanner. In every case I have come across, I've had to install an extra parallel port card in order to have both the scanner and printer work.

[This message was edited by Jack Stoner on 28 January 2000 at 02:57 AM.]

RickRichtmyer

Beautiful Adamstown, MD
Post  Posted 28 Jan 2000 3:33 am    

I agree with Jack about not using the parallel port for a scanner. Parallel ports are also too slow for satisfactory performance.

There are many scanners hook up to a SCSI port (which is not standard equipment on PCs but is on Macs). Several years ago, I bought a UMAX scanner that came with its own SCSI card.

------------------
Rick Richtmyer
users.erols.com/rickrichtmyer

Ronney Bailey

Albuquerque,New,Mexico
Post  Posted 28 Jan 2000 4:50 am    

I just recently bought a Mustek 1200 CP scanner from wally world.It has ports on back
for your printer I use a Hewlett Packard 672c
color printer and so far has worked very well
and has came out with great scanned and printed photos.The Scanner was $59.95

Ronney Bailey

Albuquerque,New,Mexico
Post  Posted 28 Jan 2000 4:56 am    

Allen called these things a confuzer!Boy that is really hitting the nail on the Head!
I love my computer but I can sure tell you there have been times I wanted to disconect
it take out on the back porch and take my 16
pound sledge to it!!

Tom Mortensen

Nashville TN
Post  Posted 28 Jan 2000 7:43 am    

I guess the reason I posted here Jack, is that Computers is listed under the Electronics Catagory description.
However, your point is well taken.
(But while I'm here)

Is it possible to scan negatives with a regular flat top scanner?

Craig Allen

BEREA, KENTUCKY, USA
Post  Posted 28 Jan 2000 11:19 am    

I'ld like to know the answer to that, too. I was gonna try backing the negative with some white paper, but I'm not sure that will work.
There's gotta be a program around somewhere, but I haven't found it yet.

Bobby Lee

Cloverdale, California, USA
Post  Posted 28 Jan 2000 11:19 am    

I know it's a stretch having this topic here, but the Off Topic crowd seems to have their own agendas.

Anyway, I would avoid a sheet-feed scanner. These are basically half of a cheap fax machine. They tend to distort photos and their colors aren't very good.

I've had real good luck with HP flatbed scanners. I own two of them right now. My newest one is an OfficeJet R40xi, which doubles as a color copier. I think it was $449 at CostCo. My older one is a ScanJet 5P which may be obsolete now, but I think a similar model sells for under $300.

The best software I've found is Paint Shop Pro. Often the colors from a scanner don't look right, or maybe it needs rotated a bit to square it up, or whatever. PSP has all of the tools you need to make really clean, nice image files. It's a very stable program - I use version 5 and I've never once had it crash or even spotted a bug in it.

------------------
Bobby Lee www.b0b.com/products
Sierra Session S-12 E9th, Speedy West D-10, Sierra S-8 Lap

RickRichtmyer

Beautiful Adamstown, MD
Post  Posted 28 Jan 2000 11:36 am    

I think that for black & white, it might be possible to scan a negative. In fact, I think my scanning software can turn a negative image into a positive.

However, there are two problems:

First of all, negatives work best with refractive light (light going through the negative) as opposed to reflective (light bouncing off the surface). Most scanners are reflective devices. I think mine has an option for refractive scanning but it requires additional hardware (a mod to the scanner).

Secondly, color negatives have to be filtered to bring out the proper colors. I don't know how you'd go about that.

There are special devices that are made for scanning negatives though.

------------------
Rick Richtmyer
users.erols.com/rickrichtmyer

Jerry Gleason

Eugene, Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 28 Jan 2000 12:06 pm    

As a graphics professional, let me chime in here. In my opinion, you cannot scan negatives (or slides) with a flatbed scanner, even one with a transparancy adadapter, and expect a satisfactory result. You really need a dedicated film scanner that just scans 35mm (or APS) film strips or mounted slides.

Film scanners are coming down in price rapidly, and are now into the $400 range. It's a good way to go if you have lot's of negatives or slides to work with. Almost all film scanners are SCSI, most come with a SCSI card, and may be a challenge to set up on a PC (just plug and play on Mac,though). A CD burner would be a recommened accessory, since you'll be generating lots of large files.

Additionally, inkjet printer technology has gotten so good now, that a $200 printer can print stunning photographic quality images. With a film scanner, inkjet printer, some software, and maybe an inexpensive flatbed scanner, you have a complete digital "darkroom" at home.

Adobe Photoshop is the industry standard for digital Photo production and manipulation. It's available for both Windows and Macintosh platforms, and nothing else even comes close, in my opinion. Many scanners are bundled with a limited version of Photoshop that's adaquate for most hobbist photo work.

Just my opinions, hope it's helpful.

Bobby Lee

Cloverdale, California, USA
Post  Posted 28 Jan 2000 12:17 pm    

SCSI is pretty much plug-and-play on PCs these days, Jerry. I added an Adaptec SCSI card to my new Dell and didn't have to do anything. The OS (Windows NT4, SP5) recognized it and the devices connected to it immediately.

I agree that Adobe PhotoShop is best imaging software, but it costs more than my scanner! Paint Shop Pro does everything I need and sells for $100. Someday when I have money to burn I'll buy PhotoShop. Or I'll buy a new camera.

------------------
Bobby Lee www.b0b.com/products
Sierra Session S-12 E9th, Speedy West D-10, Sierra S-8 Lap

Tom Mortensen

Nashville TN
Post  Posted 28 Jan 2000 12:56 pm    

I like the idea of getting a CD burner because I can use it with the music stuff also.
Would I need separate programs for burning audio and images?

Jerry Gleason

Eugene, Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 28 Jan 2000 1:10 pm    

Tom, you should be able to burn audio CD's or data CD's containing images with the same software. You'll need separate software to create and edit audio files, of course.