The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Telecaster bite
Chris Walke

St Charles, IL
Post  Posted 8 Jul 2006 9:48 am    

I've got a MIM tele and it bites just fine. I play the bridge pickup, open the tone all the way up, and then back it down a bit to find the "sweet spot" - not too bright, but far from mellow.

Picking style helps. I use a flat pick, but also use my middle & ring fingers to pull the strings upward. When I release, that strings strike the neck and that's the "bite-y-est" tone I could ask for.

BTW - I play thru a Blues Jr.

Tim Harr

Dunlap, Illinois
Post  Posted 9 Jul 2006 2:26 pm    

Chris.. I drove through St Charles just today.... On my way home from a friends home in Woodstock...to my home in Bolingbrook. Small world, eh?

Tim

Dave Mudgett

Central Pennsylvania and Gallatin, Tennessee
Post  Posted 9 Jul 2006 4:26 pm    

The notion of "bite" is extremely subjective, and there is a very wide variety of Tele lead pickup "bite", "twang", "snap", "pop", or whatever you want to call it. But I'll add my views to the pile here. I have been playing Teles a long time, and have owned literally dozens of them, and have played around with different body woods, neck and fingerboard woods, pickups, electronics, bridges, bridge saddles, nut, you name it. But take this for what it is - my opinion.

There are a lot of things which give the Tele its characteristic sound. I like a light body - it specifically does not sustain as much, and that is part of the characteristic sound I like. I have had both maple neck and rosewood fingerboard models that have "the sound". I prefer the classic 52-67 wiring, but I usually put a 1000 pF capacitor across the volume control, like on the post-1967 circuit. I've played so-called "top-loader" Teles that had plenty of snap, crackle and pop - I prefer the string-through-body design, but that's more for a bit more sustain - actually, I found the top-loaders real twangy.

But four very important features that make a big difference to me are:

1. Make sure the lead pickup base plate is ferrous. I strongly prefer the classic design with 2-to-a-saddle bridge saddles. To test it, see if a magnet is attracted to it. This has a huge effect on the pickup's magnetic field distribution, and affects the tone drastically, IMO. If yours is not magnetic, it's generally pretty easy to find a repro which is. If it's an old pre-80s Tele with 2-to-a-saddle bridges or a US made reissue, it should be if it's original.

2. Look at the bottom of the lead pickup. There should be a copper-coated plate. Again, this is a big part of the classic Tele lead pickup sound. Again, pre-80s Teles and US reissues should have this type of pickup, and good replacement pickups of this type are pretty easy to find - Duncan, Fralin, Fender, and others make them. Of course, they should not be overwound, as indicated earlier, but a light wind isn't enough for me.

3. I strongly prefer the traditional 2-to-a-saddle bridge saddles. There's something about that design that sounds unique, even apart from the ferrous bridge plates that generally seem to come with them.

4. Pay attention to string gauges. I usually prefer not too heavy on a Tele, although YMMV - that part is heavily affected by touch. But I think it's easier to get that "snap" with a bit lighter strings - I usually use .010-.046 sets, but sometimes use a .009-.042 set on certain Teles. Now, I do like heavier strings on Teles sometimes, but usually for more jazz-inflected tone.

Of course, playing style and attack are critical here. Compression and delay are nice, but not essential, IMO, for a good smap. It is possible to get a reasonable snap without these 4 elements present, but I think one gets a much better snap with them, coupled with a nice light resonant body and classic Tele neck, along with the classic pickup wiring.

Usual disclaimer - my opinions, YMMV, etc. Also, edited for two typos.

[This message was edited by Dave Mudgett on 09 July 2006 at 11:38 PM.]

Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 9 Jul 2006 9:02 pm    

I agree Dave. It's primarily the bridge saddles and the pickups, and possibly the wood. The term "bite" is somewhat nebulous. One man's bite is another man's bark.

Some of my students have recent Mexican Teles and those Teles have a surprising amount of pop and snap, certainly more than the American Teles of the 1980's, as far as I can tell.

The mid-80s Fenders vary widely in tone and quality because in 1985 Fender Co. was sold, and the new owners started all over with nothing more than the patents and the plans. No building and No machines were included in the sale. So all 1985 and 1986 Fender guitars were imported from offshore manufacturers, from India, Korea, China, and eventually Mexico. As far as I know there were no American made Fender guitars in 1986 and '87. By '87/88 Fender had new facilities in the USA (and Mexico).

Nowadays a Fender Telecaster can be ...a $200 Squire, a Mexican, Highway 1, USA, a $2500 Custom Shop, etc.

[This message was edited by Doug Beaumier on 10 July 2006 at 01:11 AM.]

Chris Spencer

Mt Juliet, Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 13 Jul 2006 5:39 am    

Well I just put Kinman pickups in my 62RI from the early 80s. Plenty of bite in the bridge plus real smooth neck pickup. The best thing about them is they're totally quiet. Really, no hum no buzz. They're expensive but they work.

Chris Walke

St Charles, IL
Post  Posted 15 Jul 2006 8:31 am    

Hi Tim -
hey, I have friends in Woodstock too! Hmm... AND, I've been to Bolingbrook somewhat recently. Played a gig at Ditka's Sportsdome in June (rock/pop cover band, no steel).

I live a little north of St charles these days, just haven't changed my profile. But it's more likely someone will recognize St Charles, IL than South Elgin, IL. S Elgin's practically St Charles anyway. Just less expensive.

Jody Carver

KNIGHT OF FENDER TWEED
Post  Posted 15 Jul 2006 8:48 am    

Leo Fender just loved the bite of a Telecaster,I used to tease him and call him a

"Treble Maker"

Gabriel Stutz

Chicago, USA
Post  Posted 9 Aug 2006 1:39 pm    

I'm putting in another vote for the G&L ASATs. They are amazing guitars, and I'd say you can come pretty close to that tele bite you're looking for, but you've got a lot more variety in tones available than a Fender tele. Besides that I think they feel like they are much better made guitars.I will never sell mine.

Gabriel

Buddy Carter

Spring Grove (Chicago), IL
Post  Posted 9 Aug 2006 6:06 pm    

Heyya Tim.

Heyya Gabriel.

I was passing through and saw your names; thought I'd say hi.

My tele? A '96 Japanese "90's Tele Special" (I think that's what it's called). Combines vintage and modern pretty well. I believe it's alder string-through-body with a maple neck, ebony fretboard, and some sort of upgraded oem pickups. Sounds lie a tele.

Buddy

Michael Hartz

Decorah, Iowa, USA
Post  Posted 9 Aug 2006 7:13 pm    

My 68' tele has EMG tele active pickups in it. I've always used EMG's. They have an incredible amount of bite. Our lead player has 2 American standard Teles with aftermarket pickups in both and he still complains they don't sound as good as mine.