The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  question on imported tricones
D Schubert

Columbia, MO, USA
Post  Posted 7 Mar 2004 2:49 pm    

What is the difference between a Regal RC-51 and a Johnson JM-991? The Regal has a "street price" that's several hundred more than the Johnson, and I'm wondering why? Sound? Neck? Cones? Construction?

Russ Young

Seattle, Washington, USA
Post  Posted 7 Mar 2004 8:14 pm    

Johnson tricones are made in China -- the quality seems to vary widely form instrument to instrument.

Regal's tricones have been made in the Czech Republic by Amistar, although I've read that may no longer be the case. Most other Regal guitars are made in Korea and are generally regarded to be higher, more consistent quality than Johnsons.

George Keoki Lake

Edmonton, AB., Canada
Post  Posted 7 Mar 2004 9:35 pm    

I tried 2 JOHNSONS from the same shipment. One was better than the other even though they were identical models. There is no doubt the JOHNSON is a lo-cost imitation of the NATIONAL, however for the buck, I am pleased with the one I selected.

D Schubert

Columbia, MO, USA
Post  Posted 9 Mar 2004 10:32 am    

Here is what I heard from one source...

Thanks for your inquiry. The Regal tricones from the Czech Republic are available roundneck only. All have nickel-plated brass bodies. Prices are as follows:

Plain - $1046.25
Wild Rose - $1496.25
Lilly of the Valley - $1571.25
Chrysanthemum - $1796.25
Park Avenue - $2096.25

All of these are available by special order only. To activate an order I will need a 50% non-refundable deposit and delivery will take 2-8 months. Please let me know if I may assist you further.

Best regards,
-Raoul

March 9, 2004
Elderly Instruments
Purchasing Department

Chuck Fisher

Santa Cruz, California, USA * R.I.P.
Post  Posted 9 Mar 2004 1:51 pm    

I played the Johnson and the Regal, the Johnson has no bass comparitively (in E tunings when I tried em)

I'd think if sombody good redid the bridge insert and did real national cones or quartermans the johnson would be great, the workmanship looked good from the outside.

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 9 Mar 2004 2:47 pm    

I have a Regal Wild Rose Tricone. I got it through Folk of the Wood in New Mexico. They stock them and if you get it and don't like it, they give you your money back and if you want to trade up to something else, they will allow your full purchase price in trade.
I really like my Regal. I raised the nut on it and put in a Highlander tricone pickup. I am running it through a Marshall AS100D acoustic amp and am pleased as punch with the sound!
Erv

[This message was edited by Erv Niehaus on 09 March 2004 at 02:49 PM.]