The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Arm Pad For d-10
Melvin Farmer

Saraland, Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 17 Apr 2005 9:55 am    

I'm used to playing a SD-10 with a padded arm rest. Now playing a D-10, need something to put on the C6th neck to help with the rash. Seems I seen something for sale here or on ebay to solve this problem. Somebody help me out with this.
Thanks'

Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 17 Apr 2005 10:06 am    

I'd just fold up a towel a couple of times and lay it out on the back neck strings. Cougar guitars used to sell an attachable pad but it was an outrigger that hung off the back of a single neck steel. Wouldn't apply to a D-10.

Larry Bell

Englewood, Florida
Post  Posted 17 Apr 2005 10:36 am    

The rash could well be a symptom of a bad habit: droopy forearms. Most steel guitar teachers will tell you that the optimal arm position is with both forearms parallel to the floor with the right elbow tucked slightly inward. I play a S-12 with a pad and my forearms almost never touch the pad while I'm playing. If I'm laying out I'll rest my arms or elbows on the pad, but not while playing.

Being sure your seat and your guitar are at the right height and your hand/arm/elbow positions are correct can avoid a lot of bad habits.

Just something to think about.

------------------
Larry Bell - email: larry@larrybell.org - gigs - Home Page
2003 Fessenden S/D-12 8x8, 1969 Emmons S-12 6x6, 1971 Dobro, Standel and Peavey Amps

David Nugent

Gum Spring, Va.
Post  Posted 17 Apr 2005 1:07 pm    

Melvin,
I cut the toe part out of an old white sock and use that for an armband for practicing at home... If I am playing out, especially in the warmer months, I use a wrist sweat band similar to the type tennis players use.( This prevents people from asking why you have an old sock on one arm!)This also helps to prolong the life of the strings on the C6 neck. Hope this helps.