The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Johnny Horton
Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 27 Sep 2000 11:17 am    

From www.tipworld.com

JOHNNY HORTON: THE SPECTACULAR JOHNNY HORTON

These days, Johnny Horton is remembered primarily for his "saga" songs such as "The Battle of New Orleans" and "When It's Springtime in Alaska (It's Forty Below)," but he was actually a versatile performer who could sing country, rockabilly, and ballads with equal facility. On this remastered reissue of The Spectacular Johnny Horton, which was originally released in 1960, just a few months before he died in a car wreck, he showcases all his styles. Along with these saga songs, there are ballads such as "Whispering Pines" and "All for the Love of a Girl" as well as rockabilly rave-ups like "Cherokee Boogie" and "The Golden Rocket." As an added bonus, there is a version of "The Battle of New Orleans" that was recorded from the British point of view after the BBC banned the original. Also included is "Lost Highway," which was recorded by Hank Williams. Horton believed Hank's ghost was haunting him, which might have had something to do with the fact that he married Williams' widow, Bobbie Jean. In a spooky coincidence, Horton's last concert was at the Starlite Ballroom, which was also the last place Williams played.
~~~~~~~~~~~~
So, today's trivia question, dear Forumites: Does anybody know the words to the British version of the Battle of New Orleans?

[This message was edited by Jim Cohen on 27 September 2000 at 12:18 PM.]

Janice Brooks

Pleasant Gap Pa
Post  Posted 27 Sep 2000 6:47 pm    

Jim i just have the first few lines

In 1814 we took a little trip along with Col
Packingham up the mighty Mississip

We took a little bacon and we took a little beans and we met the blooming rebels in the town of New Orleans.

Found in Ralph Emery's book
The View from Nashville

------------------
Janice "Busgal" Brooks
ICQ 44729047

Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 27 Sep 2000 7:15 pm    

Not to challenge the exhaustive research by the author , but the last place both Johnny Horton and Hank Williams played was not the fictional "Starlite Ballroom," but actually the famous "Skyline Club" in Austin TX.

------------------
Herb's Steel Guitar Homesite

George Rozak

Braidwood, Illinois USA
Post  Posted 27 Sep 2000 9:21 pm    

Johnny Horton was always one of my favorite singers. Two of my favorite songs by Johnny are "Whispering Pines" & "On A Honky Tonk Hardwood Floor."

As an aside, Johnny was killed in an automobile wreck while en route to meet with Ward Bond to sign a contract for an appearance in an episode of "Wagon Train." Ward Bond died that same day.

Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 27 Sep 2000 10:01 pm    

I've heard the Johnny Horton/Ward Bond story before. Ward died of a heart attack November 5, 1960, while attending an event at the Cotton Bowl in Dallas.

Johnny Horton, Tommy Tomlinson, and Tillman Franks were killed outside Milano TX, on Hwy 79, just northeast of Rockdale. Also November 5, 1960. They were on their way back to Shreveport. Warren Stark, who owned the Skyline Club, was the guy the DPS called to identify the victims. The DPS officer said the driver, who was killed, wore a hairpiece. From that, Warren knew that it was Johnny that had been killed. Tomlinson and Franks were severely injured.

Warren used to tell the story of that night all the time. There was more, but that was the basic stuff.

According to Warren, Johnny and them were definitely going back to Shreveport that night. If they had been headed to Dallas, they would have taken the Old Dallas Highway, directly north from where the Skyline was. Old Dallas Highway eventually became North Lamar Blvd.

------------------

[This message was edited by Herb Steiner on 27 September 2000 at 11:06 PM.]

George Rozak

Braidwood, Illinois USA
Post  Posted 27 Sep 2000 10:28 pm    

Herb,

I don't really know one way or the other about the Johnny Horton/Ward Bond story. It's just a story I heard also. Anyway, here's a Web Site where they list Texas historian, writer, & broadcaster Tumbleweed Smith as the source of the Johnny Horton/Ward Bond story:

click here

Actually, I've never heard of Tumbleweed Smith either

[This message was edited by George Rozak on 27 September 2000 at 11:33 PM.]

Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 27 Sep 2000 10:59 pm    

George, I don't know if there was gonna be a meeting between Bond and Horton or not... it sounds plausible to me. But Johnny and his band would not be taking the road the accident occurred on if they were heading to Dallas that night.

One other thing Warren said: he told them to "drive safe," and Johnny allowed as how he trained his instincts to swerve into the shoulder or a bar ditch if an oncoming car crossed the center line. But the accident happened on a bridge and Horton had no room to swerve.

I usually made it a habit, when I was younger, to interview people who were involved in famous events. I got a lot of perspective that way.

------------------