The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Big Sandy & the Fly-Rite Boys
Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 26 Sep 2000 9:56 am    

From www.tipworld.com

BIG SANDY AND HIS FLY-RITE BOYS: NIGHT TIDE

Big Sandy and His Fly-Rite Boys are one of the better groups to come out of the recent revival of western swing and early country music. On Night Tide, their latest CD, they show that they can do more than just copy the music of earlier musicians. Most of the songs on this CD are Big Sandy originals and demonstrate his ability to take a handful of
retro elements and craft them into something new. Although the music has the infectious beat we have come to expect from the band, the lyrics sometimes focus on life's darker side. "Tequila Calling," for example, is a song about a man's doomed love affair with the bottle set to an irresistible Latin rhythm. And songs like "Night Tide" and
"Between Darkness and Dawn" effectively deal with the loneliness that afflicts night dwellers. But the most haunting song on the CD is "When Sleep Won't Come (Blues For Spade)," a song written from the point of
view of western swing band leader Spade Cooley as he sits in prison and thinks about how he murdered his wife. Night Tide is not just a collection of doom-and-gloom tunes set to a danceable beat. There are also a number of songs that suggest that it might be better to spend our days and nights dancing and loving rather than whining and moping.

Janice Brooks

Pleasant Gap Pa
Post  Posted 26 Sep 2000 3:46 pm    

I don't have this one yet but I also recomend
their earlier releases on Hightone
Swing West and Feelin Kinda Lucky.

------------------
Janice "Busgal" Brooks
ICQ 44729047

Chip Fossa

Monson, MA, USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 27 Sep 2000 4:04 am    

Big Sandy has been making the Northeast circuit in the past couple of years. I've caught his act twice at the Iron Horse,
Northampton, MA.

His steel player was playing, at this time anyway,a 3-necked, pedal-less, Rickenbacker. I think he had 8 strings per neck.

Bobby Lee

Cloverdale, California, USA
Post  Posted 27 Sep 2000 8:30 am    

I love their instrumental album, "Big Sandy Presents the Fly-Rite Boys". It is so authentic sounding. I've heard that they use all vintage equipment on stage. Very cool.

The non-pedal steel is the real icing on the cake. All of the Fly-Rite Boys are top-notch musicians, and they sound like they have a real passion for small combo swing music. I haven't heard anyone else recording anything quite like this. I'm a fan!

------------------
Bobby Lee - email: quasar@b0b.com - gigs - CDs
Sierra Session S-12 (E9), Speedy West D-10 (E9, D6),
Sierra 8 Laptop (D13), Fender Stringmaster D-8 (D13, A6)

Chip Fossa

Monson, MA, USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 27 Sep 2000 1:55 pm    

b0b, you're absolutely correct about them all being topnotch musicians. "Big Sandy Presents" was the 1st tape I bought and
was immediately sold on these guys.
They are a real DYNAMO "live"; and
Sandy is a hell of a front man and entertainer.
Not only the instruments are 'vintage', but they dress in the era as well.
Super group.

Tele

Andy W. - Wolfenbuettel, Germany
Post  Posted 27 Sep 2000 2:16 pm    

I'm a gig fan of these guys. I shared the stage with them acouple of times in the past few days and they are nice and easy persons.
I could recommend all of their releases, even their earlier Rockabilly no-pedal included stuff is outstanding !

Andy