The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Tnn
Bob Schorell

Vero Beach, Florida, USA
Post  Posted 21 Sep 2000 2:43 pm    

Just wondering if anybody else has heard this news. Just heard on E News Daily that TNN has changed over to National News newtwork or something like that. They will now be based out of "The Big Apple". Now I will definately not watch it anymore. Sad.

telecat

Sutton,W.V. 26601
Post  Posted 21 Sep 2000 4:13 pm    

since they took country music off basically except every once in a while, who has been watching anyway..........although I do like the real McCoys.........
BB

telecat

Sutton,W.V. 26601
Post  Posted 21 Sep 2000 4:14 pm    

......Oh yeah, and the occasional race and the hunting and fishing shows are cool........Oh yeah and saturday night, Backstage at the Opry....
BB

JBM

Pittsgrove, NJ USA
Post  Posted 21 Sep 2000 4:19 pm    

They claim they'll be keeping the Opry, but who knows for how long. Here is a link to a newspaper story. http://www.tennessean.com/sii/00/09/20/tnnmain20.shtml

------------------
joe merlino
www.homecookinbluegrass.com

Fred Layman

Springfield, Missouri USA
Post  Posted 21 Sep 2000 4:58 pm    

"There was dissatisfaction with the profitibility of TNN." Once again, in any partnership between art and commerce, commerce will always prevail.

Boomer

Brentwood, TN USA
Post  Posted 21 Sep 2000 8:03 pm    

It will be called The National Network out of New York. They are keeping Live at The Grand Ole Opry for two years, then dropping it. Best, Boomer

Steve Allison

Eatonton,Ga. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 22 Sep 2000 4:33 am    

Hey Boomer, the reason for the 2 yr. deal is so that all the folks like us can get "passified" to the new programing and then "wing" us off the country music. I say lets all give 'em their wish and drop 'em like a hot potatoe right now!

I remember long ago when Ralph Emery made the announcement that TNN was the fastest growing and most watched network of the day.

I don't think real country music fans did any kind of change "overnight", so it had to be these new intelligent bean counters. If numbers is all they care about, then the only way to show 'em is to let 'em see less of the numbers that they desire. I agree, that I am a big drag race and gun fanatic that truly enjoys the weekend programming, but I believe that even those programs will find there way to another network.
They get us hooked and then throw us away.
Let's throw them away before they have the chance...........

TRAP TRULY

Mobile , AL
Post  Posted 22 Sep 2000 2:55 pm    

NEW YORK CITY......get a rope

telecat

Sutton,W.V. 26601
Post  Posted 23 Sep 2000 2:21 am    

lets all thank CBS for taking TNN into the new millenium, that was about the worst merger I know of or at least can think of at this moment.
BB

Jim Mathis

Overland Park, Kansas, USA
Post  Posted 23 Sep 2000 9:27 am    

All good things have to come to an end. The Nashville Network had been dying for several years. It was fun while it lasted. By the way, CBS has a long history of messing with musicians --- Fender, Steinway, TNN, and many others suffered under CBS's ownership.

Gary Walker

Morro Bay, CA
Post  Posted 23 Sep 2000 11:16 am    

Sounds like it's time for some enterprising investors to form another network devoted to the live venue of the country music and it's related topics. I miss those great programs like Music City Tonight, American Music Shop, On Record, You Can Be a Star and so on. I don't think the audience for those wonderful programs ceased to exist. What about those reruns of Hee Haw? Timeless classics, That Nashville Music. We got see a lot of our heros in action and I think a lot of fans would be faithful. I remember Barbara Mandrell Telling Lorie Ann that they had two satillite dishes, one for the family and one tuned to TNN all of the time. What about it you silent majority. Only the squeakie wheel gets the grease, Thanks, Gary

Bob Maickel

Floral Park, NY
Post  Posted 23 Sep 2000 11:51 am    

Regarding CBS, TNN and the Opry TV broadcasts. It was inevitable.

CBS is not the same company it used to be. Viacom now owns the name (CBS) which has no bearing on what's happening with TNN (a service of CBS cable). Viacom is interested in making money. Obviously they can't do that with TNN and the Opry broadcasts due to limited (Country Music) audience size and demographics. (We are still a silent minority) How many young people do you see in the audience at the Opry these days? (Viacom is looking for a young audience that has money to spend) Which is why they are so proud of the results (profit) they've gotten from MTV.

It's very difficult for us to accept change. CBS put bread on my table for 28 years. I had the honor and privilege to be an employee during the "Tiffany Network" years. Those days are long since gone.

Perhaps some enterprising group will continue the tradition of televising the Opry. But, I'm not holding my breath.

Danny Naccarato

Burleson, Texas
Post  Posted 26 Sep 2000 1:23 am    

Word I got was the Opry will move to CMT when their contract is up in '02...

Danny

------------------
www.janiefricke.com

C Dixon

Duluth, GA USA
Post  Posted 26 Sep 2000 6:05 am    

Bob is sooo correct.

Folks we have to face reality. People just do not like true country music. Just a handful left in this country. Some of you do and I do. But we are a spit in the ocean in comparison to the masses. They simply do NOT. That is why "country" stations play mostly Rock and Pop.

IF, they played country they would go out of business. There is NOT enough of us to make it profitable for them.

I have 3 kids and 6 grand kids. They all hate country music. Yet they LOVE Shania, Garth et-al. The powers to be know this full well. They are not blind nor deaf. So they play what the kids like.

The Grand Ole Opry that withstood the "time change" thing will not last unless it turns into pure rock and the "pop" of the day. And then it will die by the same sword.

Time marches on. In many ways we as parents are responsible for this. WE bought into it by permitting our off-springs to have their bedrooms stocked full of it. It all started with Elvis.

Just look at their bedroom walls. Take note of the titles on their CD's. Have some of you actually listended to the words on these CD's?

We are now paying for that foolish stand. IMHO

So TNN is no different. There is NO money any more in true country music. It is dead for all practical purposes.

God help us.

carl