Billy Walker
Andy Griggs

------------------
Janice "Busgal" Brooks
ICQ 44729047

Joe Casey

Weeki Wachee .Springs FL (population.9)
Post  Posted 22 Sep 2000 6:31 am    

Defineately a mustsea. Andy Griggs "wow".Now who in the hell is Andy Griggs? Is he a former B_Gee.? ;0

------------------
CJC

Theresa Galbraith

Goodlettsville,Tn. USA
Post  Posted 22 Sep 2000 6:48 am    

Joe,
He's just another new artist that's killing traditional country! Theresa

Ray Jenkins

Gold Canyon Az. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 22 Sep 2000 7:13 am    

Ain't nobody killed my Traditional Country.
I got plenty of ammunition at home.It's called Tapes,CD'S and Records. Ray
Next week I'm moving the bathroom in the house.
------------------
Steeling is still legal in Arizona

[This message was edited by Ray Jenkins on 22 September 2000 at 08:14 AM.]

Joe Casey

Post  Posted 22 Sep 2000 9:26 am    

Theresa , "What else can I do with all my time, now that the Honky tonks are closed"......They finally made driving after drinkin a crime,..guess they want all us drunks off of the road".....They didn't have any Merle on the jukebox,....What they settled for, they play it too damn loud....They finally got rid of all beer drinkin rednecks,..and Replaced them with a teeny bopper crowd" ......That's my new song....I Knew I would set off a spark,I guess I'll just go listen to this future of Country Music. P.S.this Griggs guy, He can't do anymore damage then has been done..... lately.So I woudn't say he is killing anything but time.

------------------
CJC

[This message was edited by Joe Casey on 22 September 2000 at 10:35 AM.]

kyle reid

Butte,Mt.usa
Post  Posted 22 Sep 2000 9:31 am    

Theresa! Other than, Jackson, Strait, and a couple more, who's selling traditional country today? Andy has had 2 #1 songs in the last year, Where would those have been on the charts if they were traditional country, Also, how many traditioal country sessions does your brother play on? Dont get me wrong, I'm more of a traditional country fan than you are!!! And I'm also aware of the fact that there is no better player any where than Paul! kr

Glenn Boppre

Pengilly, MN, USA * R.I.P.
Post  Posted 22 Sep 2000 10:18 am    

From what I've heard Andy Griggs has an
excellant steel player that can play with
the best of them!!

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 22 Sep 2000 5:07 pm    

Still love Jimmy C. I'll be watching if I'm home. Billy Walker is still OK too. Don't know too much about the others.

------------------
Carter D10 8p/10k
Richard Sinkler BS, www.sinkler.com

Theresa Galbraith

Goodlettsville,Tn. USA
Post  Posted 22 Sep 2000 5:11 pm    

Kyle,
Thanks for the nice compliment. Paul does traditional when he's called to. As far as you loving it more than I, I can't say. I just like music. When I like what I hear on the radio, I go out and buy it! I like Andy Griggs, so I bought his cd! It's great!
Theresa

[This message was edited by Theresa Galbraith on 22 September 2000 at 06:20 PM.]

Jerry Hayes

Virginia Beach, Va.
Post  Posted 22 Sep 2000 11:05 pm    

I'll be watching for sure! I love Jimmy C Newman's band especially his guitar player, Dan Drilling. I think he's got about the coolest sound and licks of any of the players on the Opry.

------------------
Have a good 'un! JH U-12

Janice Brooks

Pleasant Gap Pa
Post  Posted 23 Sep 2000 6:00 pm    

Pretty good portion with the exception of Andy Griggs pop sounding number.

I had to admire Tommy's dobro work on the Billy Walker number. Remember that Grandpa Jones in his early days was in the gospel group Browns Ferry 4 so his ballads etc come from a strong relegous backround.

------------------
Janice "Busgal" Brooks
ICQ 44729047

[This message was edited by Janice Brooks on 23 September 2000 at 07:03 PM.]

[This message was edited by Janice Brooks on 23 September 2000 at 07:05 PM.]

[This message was edited by Janice Brooks on 23 September 2000 at 07:28 PM.]

Theresa Galbraith

Goodlettsville,Tn. USA
Post  Posted 23 Sep 2000 6:57 pm    

I loved Andy Griggs tonight. I'm sure he made his family and wife proud as he did an outstanding job and dedicated the last song to her. His band was awesome, don't know the steeler? He came off loud and clear,it just made me want to hear more! Theresa

Joe Casey

Post  Posted 23 Sep 2000 8:06 pm    

Wasn't Andy Griggs something else.

------------------
CJC

Mike Weirauch

Harrisburg, Illinois**The Hub of the Universe
Post  Posted 23 Sep 2000 8:24 pm    

It wasn't so bad after all, was it? I enjoyed the Backstage portion with Bill Anderson and Andy Griggs. He seemed like a real nice kid and is sincere about what he is doing. I didn't especially care for his first song but I liked the second one. I also thought Rebecca Lynn Howard did a good job on the song she sang and so did Tommy White with Billy Walker backing him up! I always enjoy Jimmy C. Newman and his cajun band even if he doesn't have a steel player. One thing I did notice, the camera panned the crowd and the auditorium was packed tonight.

Joe Casey

Post  Posted 23 Sep 2000 9:43 pm    

I also was sold on Andy griggs during his backstage interview. The audience seemed to like him also.

------------------
CJC

Al Udeen

maple grove mn usa
Post  Posted 24 Sep 2000 10:08 am    

That steeler is my son, C.J. Udeen

Teresa White

Hendersonville, TN USA
Post  Posted 24 Sep 2000 12:47 pm    

I was the camera person on stage last night at the Opry. I had shots of Andy Griggs' steel player at most of the appropriate times. We camera people can't make the director take shots he does not choose. As I recall, the lead guitar had most of the turns with the steel having very strong fills. I tried to shoot those fills when the director would let me. I remember at one point he sent me to the drums which did not seem appropriate at the time but it worked out ok and I made it back to the lead guitarist in time for his solo. Once again, we only provide the shots, what the director takes is up to him. It doesn't look right to go to a fill shot of an instrument while the singer is singing or his lyrics are too tight to fit it in. I always try to be on the right player at the right time,
but in defence of the director and everyone involved, we don't get a rehearsal on the Opry. On the CMA's and other shows for example we rehearse for hours and sometimes days before the actual show. We wing everything on the Opry. I'm the first to admit the televised portion needs improvement, but at the same time I'm so thankful that we have an avenue to share the Opry with everyone visually.
Teresa

[This message was edited by Teresa White on 26 September 2000 at 06:53 AM.]

Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 24 Sep 2000 1:01 pm    

It's good that you have tried to explain that, Teresa. A lot of people have no idea how TV is done. They seem to think that a bunch of people with cameras are wandering around fighting it out for the opportunity to get their best shots.
Yes, it is sometimes frustrating for us viewers when the director seems to blow the call but yes, I do understand that just like with the sound (sometimes less than perfect) this is a seat-of-the-pants production. When it comes off professionally it seems like a small miracle. When it doesn't, it's still pros doing the best they can under the gun.
Thanks for posting.

Melanie Renfro

Goodlettsville, TN, USA
Post  Posted 24 Sep 2000 8:37 pm    

I just wanted to give y'all a little insight on Andy Griggs. I've gotten to know him over the past five years and he's just a good ole country boy from Monroe,LA. Yes, he's got his rockin' side too, but I promise you he has no intention of killing traditional country music. If you get his latest CD, you'll find a good mixture of both. Waylon Jennings sings with Andy on one of the songs. Anyway, I'll quit rambling, but I assure you that Andy is a great guy who will continue the country tradition as well as be pleasing to today's country crowd. Thanks

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 25 Sep 2000 2:35 am    

Character doesn't seem to matter to the industry producers. I saw the interview with Andy and he did sound like a "good ole boy". There are a lot of the others that are doing nothing but "modern country" that also come across as sincere and a "good ole boy or girl".

Having lived and worked in "Nashvul" in the early 70's I've met and dealt with some of the revered stars of traditional country music that I thought were complete rear ends. Others were genuine and sincere.

Theresa Galbraith

Goodlettsville,Tn. USA
Post  Posted 25 Sep 2000 7:44 am    

Al, Your son did a fine job with Andy! The opry did a fine job with bringing him up in the mix! You should be proud!